Warm water outdoor faucet.

Users who are viewing this thread

JJ44

Reaction score
I'm installing an outdoor faucet that I will use for showing and dog-washing.

While it would be nice to be able to control hot/cold from outside, I couldn't find any HOT / COLD faucet options that also did auto-draining (even w/ hose attached), so I've settled on just using a single-knob faucet:

Prier C-534
or
Woodford Model 30

Both appear robust, but only the Pier comes stock w/ 1/2" PEX-A (aka expansion pex, aka Wirsbo PEX) inlet connection options. So I'll probably get that one.

When it comes to making this a "warm" faucet, I need to control water temp from inside the building. I figured I have two ways to do this:

Option #1: Utilize a shower mixer (aka: A pressure balancing valve, like the ones that go behind your shower knob). Here's an example.

Option #2: Utilize a mixing valve (like the ones that go after water-heaters, or before appliances). Here's an example.

I'm leaning towards option #1, because I'm having a hard time finding a mixing valve that:
- Allows for a full 100% cold, or 100% hot range.
- Allows for PEX-A connectors.

Thoughts?
(on options, product, or approach)

Thanks.

Last edited:

Fitter30

Reaction score
Screenshot_2021-07-24-09-00-51.png

JJ44

Reaction score
Re: Woodford 22: That's a nice model, but it doesn't (really) allow for the hose to remain attached since it doesn't have the auto-drain feature upon shutoff. I think it does have some funny pressure relief pins as a backup measure for freezing though. Just not robust enough for what I was looking for. I just went with the Prier C-534. Makes it a simpler shower experience anyhow: Just turn one knob.

Re: PEX adapter. Thanks for the tip. I'll probably be using those. Especially if I go with Option #2 (mixing valve).

Re: 3-way ball valve. I like this approach. I didn't even realize a 3-way existed. Thanks for showing me. Only downside is that you apparently shouldn't use ball-valves as a mixer because over time particles in the water degrade the smooth surface of the exposed ball when not fully-open or fully-closed. I'm not sure I buy that though, ball valves are my favorite. Unfortunately, the big outdoor faucet (hose bib) companies aren't keen on them (according to what they tell me), so maybe there is some truth to the degradation. I could make my own mixer with different valves, and check-valves as you mentioned. Also: I didn't realize PEX-A could be used with these push-to-connect fittings. I wish stores would get better at labeling A vs B. B is the more common one, but A is superior in my opinion. I already purchased the expensive pex-a tool, so I'm less inclined to try any "push to connect" options anyway. One of these days I may be able to mentally bring myself to accept them though...

Regarding Option #1: Utilize a shower mixer
pros:
- Allows for easy and intuitive full range of cold / hot.
- Lots of options, even with PEX-A.
cons:
- May be more susceptible to leaks compared to a Mixing Valve (?)
- Limits water-flow (it's designed for a shower after all, not a hose-bib)

Regarding Option #2: Utilize a mixing valve.
pros:
- Less susceptible to leaks. (guessing)
- No loss in water-flow. (often designed for whole-home applications)
cons:
- More of a pain to change temp.
- Limited temp-changing range. Although, I did find a Honeywell AM-1 model that goes down to as low as 70F.

I'd say it's a toss-up.

If I go with the Option #1: Shower-valve, I'll probably encase it in a waterproof box and a drain-hose for peace of mind (unless someone here can ease my concern of a possible leak).
If I go with Option #2: mixing valve, I'll just be okay with setting it to permanent WARM temp. Maybe spray paint my hose knob orange. I don't see using it for anything other than a shower anyway.
;-)

Leaning toward option #2. If nothing else, it may raise less eyebrows during an inspection. lol.

Thanks for the comments guys.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks