Help with water treatment

Users who are viewing this thread

Garydh

Reaction score
Hi

I spent some time on this forum last winter and decided to put in a sandpoint this summer. I put it down about 13 feet and have lots of water. I am about 50 feet from the lake on a small property. Moving the point is not an option as the septic field will be closer than 50 feet. Gotta say I was pretty excited about the well.

I sent the water away for testing and the news was not good. Below are the problem points
  1. Hardness 140 a bit over 8 grains
  2. Iron is 15.2 ppm
  3. Manganese .486
  4. Tannins 2.7
  5. Dissolved organic carbon 24.8 ppm
Ph is 6.91 and alkalinity is 123.

I have spoken to a couple of salesman and have been told treating that high of iron will be very expensive and mentioned chlorine and about 9k Canadian.

I found a tannin iron filter that can handle about 5 ppm of the iron. We never expected it to be that high when we were talking.

anyone got any suggestions or should I just write off the well? I wouldn’t mind spending a reasonable amount on filters but have been quoted 5k for an oxidizing iron filter and a tannin filter.

I have tried googling but there seems to be very little information available except for links to those selling filters with no specifications as to what they can handle.

I would really appreciate any help or advice you can offer.

Thanks!

atombikes

Reaction score
Hi, you mention a tannin reading. What kind of test is performed to obtain that tannin number? Sorry I can't help, I am fighting a similar problem near the Atlantic coastline.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks