Floor drain extension threads?

Users who are viewing this thread

DIYorBust

Reaction score
I have two floor drains in a slab, but they are not the same drain, and the brands are unknown. I needed to extend the height of the drain strainers. On the first drain, this device fit perfectly:

https://www.supplyhouse.com/sh/control/product/~product_id=D60979

d60979-3.jpg

But on the second drain, the threads are slightly finer and the diameter slightly smaller. Not much, maybe an 1/8th of an inch maybe less, but the extender will not mate with the drain collar or strainer. The extender I linked to is 3.5" ips. Any clue what thread type could be on the second drain?

DIYorBust

Reaction score
Thanks, yes they are, and I remain confused about it, but we went to a plumbing supply with the strainers and they located a piece that fit by trial and error.

Perhaps it nps vs npsm threads? I don't know but would be curious if anyone does.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
We get into this a little bit when we remodel old showers in high rises that have cast drains poured into the slab. Its a game of forensics trying to see what paint is on the flange or the diameter of the bolt pattern.

DIYorBust

Reaction score
Good to know, I guess if it comes up again and doesn't match a strainer I have I could try one of those marlinman mentions, or maybe post a pic here and see if anyone reconizes it. I wouldn't know by the bolt pattern or paint color, a lot of them seem to be painted blue.

DIYorBust

Reaction score
So here is the part that fit. Any clue what make is the drain in case we need a new strainer?

Attachments

• 20210625_164617.jpg
    20210625_164617.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 132

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Zurn uses blue paint, Jones Stephens were blue too, but I don't see the shoulder on the thereads in their pics..

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks