Schluter Jolly Install Question

Users who are viewing this thread

Thomas K

Reaction score
Hi! I am going to trim out shower niche with Schluter Jolly polished chrome trim and am wanting to make sure this trim can be embedded under the tiles INSIDE the niche rather than the wall tiles, which have already been set. I plan to have the cement board in niche even with outside tiles before doing any trim or inside niche tiling.

My tile is 5/16" porcelain, which makes me think I need a 3/8" Jolly profile to allow enough room. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
When the tile is tight against the leg of the profile, Schluter's instructions say that the tile should be somewhere between 1/16" above to even with the profile. The holes in the flange allow thinset to bond through them to both the surface and then to the bottom of the tile, so, once you embed things, it ends up quite thin on the actual surface of the flange, but then, you have the thickness of it to then hold the tile up and lock the profile in place.

If you use a taller profile, you have to be REALLY careful to not end up with having the profile's edge sticking up above the tile's edge...it can be done, but it's much harder...much easier to have it the same height, or slightly less, then, you can push down as much as you want to set the tile onto it. Watch a few of their installation videos to get the idea.

Thomas K

Reaction score
I said Jolly trim, but from the design of it, looks like I can't use it because the wall tiles are already set. So looks like I will have to use Schluter Quadec, which will overlap the raw edges of the wall tile. I had to redo part of niche, so may have to re-Redguard entire niche. Wall tiles are already set. As it is, edges of niche tiles (those remaining) are covered by wall tile. Only raw edge you see is on the wall tile. Quadec can be set under niche tiles, and will cover raw edge of wall tiles.

I had to redo niche because tile man I hired didn't bring tiles out to edge of wall, admitted his mistake, and ripped the tiles off, which ripped out huge chunks of cementboard with it. Now I'm doing the tiling.

Thomas K

Reaction score
Since I have to redo the niche, and since I have no experience cutting metal profile trim, I've decided that polished-edge marble pieces would probably be a better match for tiling the inside of the niche, along with penny tiles at back of niche that wife will pick out. Besides that, I think the marble pieces would match the shower tile better.

Opinions?

Attachments

• IMG_2080.JPG
    IMG_2080.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 413

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Jolly only has a flange on one edge, so could work. It all depends on your overall design preferences.
ss_prod_jollymc_001_r.jpg

Thomas K

Reaction score
If you rotate that photo counterclockwise one turn, that is what I'm trying to do, with the holes in the flange embedded in tile set on the floor of the niche. I take it that you grout over the flange and then remove grout from the polished surface immediately. Since tile is 5/16", if I do this I will use 5/16" Jolly.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Yes, you fill in the small gap in the profile when you grout it. You need to be very careful to clean any thinset or grout from the profile immediately when finished, or, it can spot and make cleanup later after it starts to cure difficult to impossible.

Thomas K

Reaction score
Jolly isn't that expensive, so I think I'll buy a length of it and try it. I will have to bring cement board level with existing wall tile at niche (I think) then place Jolly under niche tiles with thin set, so that top of niche tiles are even with top of trim. Tile slides up to tang on metal trim, leaving a 1/8" grout line to be filled in.

I just wish the Jolly came with separate corner pieces you can install, like Schluter Quadec trim, so you don't have to miter corners. IF they do make the pieces for Jolly, I can't find them. If the Quadec will work (?), I can use it.

If I do have to miter, I will put an aluminum cutting blade on my 7 1/4" compound miter saw.

Attachments

• cap.jpg
    cap.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 273

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Quadec would work. Depending on the version you use, you may need to use a spacer so it can be grouted. The profile itself, on the aluminum ones don't need a a spacer on one side. The SS ones, work better with one on either side.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks