Toto Drake flushing issue (ie not flushing)

Users who are viewing this thread

JMac

Reaction score
A little background. The bathroom is on an exterior wall, and from that wall goes bathtub, toilet, then a single-sink vanity. On the opposite side of that interior wall is the kitchen double sink. The house is a 3/1 ranch on a slab built in early 70s with a septic tank a few feet outside of the bathroom/kitchen wall area. The tank was last pumped about 4 years ago. For most of those 4 years, there have been 3 adults living here. I just had a reroof job which also involved work around the vent pipes.

In the last couple of weeks or so, 9 times out of 10 the toilet will not completely flush on its own, even when purely liquid. Using a plunger will generally work the first time, but sometimes it takes even another flush using the plunger to get it to completely flush. So when you flush, the clean water swirls into the bowl like normal, but will then slowly drain. Not super slow; about a minute or so and then the water level in the bowl is back to its normal level.

None of the sinks nor the tub have a noticeable slow drain, only the toilet. The toilet does drain, but doesn't usually flush. So where should I start? Pump the tank? Look for an issue with the vent pipe? Replace the toilet? Move?

TIA. James

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I would check the jet way at the bottom of the bowl to make sure the siphon is working. That kick starts the siphon. If that gets plugged up, then flushing is a problem.
Also, anything in the trapway can slow the siphon. Sometimes a closet auger to clear what be there in the traway.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks