Need to move a toilet mounted a Concrete slab Floor

Users who are viewing this thread

Charlie Bosco

Reaction score
I plan to remodel my bathroom and have to move the toilet over a good 12". The idiot who ran the original flange had the toilet literally 8-10" away from the side of the tub..

Anyway, how big or pain in the arse job is this? Am I going to get raped by a local contractor/plumber to do this? Or is this a common bathroom mod? It its stupid expensive would you recommend this job for a diy'r?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Oh my. That's a big move. You will need to break concrete, or at least cut it to gain access to the plumbing below. Knowing which direction it came from will help. A normal offset on a toilet is 15" to the next object like a tub, and about 18".
When I was roughing next to a 30" wide tub my go to measurement was 45" from the far tub wall giving me 15" to center.

Charlie Bosco

Reaction score
Oh my. That's a big move. You will need to break concrete, or at least cut it to gain access to the plumbing below. Knowing which direction it came from will help. A normal offset on a toilet is 15" to the next object like a tub, and about 18".
When I was roughing next to a 30" wide tub my go to measurement was 45" from the far tub wall giving me 15" to center.

Sounds like I'll want to leave this one alone.. Any ideas what type of pricing I am gonna expect here to move a flange on a slab? like maybe$1000? or am I nuts?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
When you say the toilet is 8-10 inches from the tub, is that from the centerline of the toilet to the edge of the tub? Or from the side of the tank to the side of the tub?
I figure that 15" from center to edge of tub works fine. If it really is tight to the tub, then moving the toilet may make sense. As plumbers, we worry why it would have been that close to begin with. What was the thinking there?
It might me an easy move, more like an adjustment, or it may involve more. Sorry we can't be more helpful, but it is kind of a guess when it's hidden in the floor.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Code today requires 15" minimum from the centerline to obstructions on either side, so at an absolute minimum, 30" of space.

As Terry mentioned, knowing which direction the drain goes could make a difference. Another thing is also how deep the current line is, as whichever way it must move, you still must have at least 1/4" per foot slope. Since you're not moving it all that far, that probably isn't an issue.

If, for chance, you happen to be on a post-tensioned slab, it could be a major deal as cutting one of those tension cables shouldn't be done, and it can be dangerous. If it's a normal slab without that, not all that big with the right tools, but still time consuming and messy. Time is money...

Charlie Bosco

Reaction score
Code today requires 15" minimum from the centerline to obstructions on either side, so at an absolute minimum, 30" of space.

As Terry mentioned, knowing which direction the drain goes could make a difference. Another thing is also how deep the current line is, as whichever way it must move, you still must have at least 1/4" per foot slope. Since you're not moving it all that far, that probably isn't an issue.

If, for chance, you happen to be on a post-tensioned slab, it could be a major deal as cutting one of those tension cables shouldn't be done, and it can be dangerous. If it's a normal slab without that, not all that big with the right tools, but still time consuming and messy. Time is money...

Here is a photo of the space.. This cannot be code.. By the way, very small house 1200sf My guess is there is nothing special with the slab. Only needs to be moved another 12" or so..

TUB.jpg

Jadnashua

Reaction score
It's 15" from the centerline of the toilet to any obstruction, so it might be close...depends on the toilet. IOW, you need a minimum of 30" for the toilet, assuming it was exactly centered in the space.

Charlie Bosco

Reaction score
It's 15" from the centerline of the toilet to any obstruction, so it might be close...depends on the toilet. IOW, you need a minimum of 30" for the toilet, assuming it was exactly centered in the space.
Wow, really? I had no idea this might actually be code.. Especially since there is easily 18" of space from other side of the bowl (not the center) to the vanity. Just poorly laid out I guess.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Wow, really? I had no idea this might actually be code.. Especially since there is easily 18" of space from other side of the bowl (not the center) to the vanity. Just poorly laid out I guess.

Yes, minimum of 30" total, 15" to center
You need room for your shoulders and arms.

taylor_tight_space.jpg

In a cabin rental. Taylor is looking up at the paper holder.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
More is nice, but 30" is the minimum allowed, if you have to pass an inspecti0n.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks