Anode Rod Replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

Sarg

Enjoy Learning
Reaction score
And just another tip when installing a replacement.
Obtain a drain valve ( full 3/4 " ball valve ) that is specifically made to flush sediment and install during the installation.
The factory drains are a compression shut off that will not pass sediment.
( Valve is about $27 )

Attachments

• Drain valve.jpg
    Drain valve.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 142

Cityslacker06

Reaction score
And just another tip when installing a replacement.
Obtain a drain valve ( full 3/4 " ball valve ) that is specifically made to flush sediment and install during the installation.
The factory drains are a compression shut off that will not pass sediment.
( Valve is about $27)
Great information, sir. I will keep this in my memory banks as well.

Myhouse

Reaction score
I can not heat it up because I do not want to burn the insulation around the tank. I am just considering leaving alone, but before I give in on this, is there any thing I can try to break it loose so I can at least replace it?
Try a piece of pipe.

Seriously, use whatever socket you have, then put a 3 or 4 foot long piece of iron pipe on the breaker bar. That will give you all kinds of leverage. But - beware of the possibility of flying (face-first) in to the wall when the anode breaks free (or the breaker bar breaks!).

Cityslacker06

Reaction score
Try a piece of pipe.

Seriously, use whatever socket you have, then put a 3 or 4 foot long piece of iron pipe on the breaker bar. That will give you all kinds of leverage. But - beware of the possibility of flying (face-first) in to the wall when the anode breaks free (or the breaker bar breaks!).
Since I am an amputee, I will not try this by hand because I know I will lose my balance and knock myself out. I tried once already, and it did not work out very well. I will get a regular air compressor (not the pancake style) and try using a pneumatic impact again. The pancake style will not work since it can not keep up with the wrench. I have tried this already as well. Another issue is do not have anyone else to help me.

SShaw

Reaction score
Try a piece of pipe.

That would not have worked for me for two reasons. 1) There's no room in the utility closet for that long of a breaker bar. 2) Using a bar you need to have a second person hold the tank and apply equal torque in the opposite direction, which isn't practical.

An air impact wrench solves both of these issues. Because it hammers the fastener at >20 times per second, rather than applying constant torque, you don't need a second person to secure the tank.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks