Question regarding pipe supports Iron vs Brass

Users who are viewing this thread

Christian Garibaldi

Reaction score
Hello,
I will begin by stating that I feel like I have done a fairly thorough job searching from essentially sea to shining sea in the USA, yet still cannot seem to manage to find a source, let alone a reason for the following lack of the availability in our country to obtain solid brass split ring hangers- or any similar type of pipe support made out of brass. I was curious if anyone here has any insight, or possibly a U.S source for them? There is no shortage of iron, steel, epoxy coated, copper "plated", galvanized etc split ring, van hangers, straps etc. But ones made from solid cast brass seem to be an anomaly here.
The funny/ odd thing is that they are as common as dirt overseas esp in the UK. If you are compelled to see for yourself, do a google search for "brass munsen rings" and scroll through the images, and you will find no shortage of essentially everything we have available, only made from brass (And in mm sizing.... which basically coincides with our copper OD anyway) and every source will link you to a UK outlet, or possibly the foundries that seem to mass produce them in India or China (On sites like Alibaba etc)
I have reached out to Mueller Brass, Apollo, Elkhart, Supplyhouse, Mc Master, Fergusen, Walraven, Wlarich ... the usual suspects, and many other firms that would likely make, import, sell, supply, or even know of them, and surprisingly I keep getting met with a dead end. I contacted a couple of sources in the UK that are manufacturers and the guy at one of them chuckled when I told him that they seem to elude us (Or at least me) here in the U.S.A and his reply was "thats odd.....we literally sell 100 to 200 thousand of them each month to our vendors globally in all sizes. They are in literally every and any plumbing supply section here, from a mom and pop shop to a big box supplier" He indicated that they are nothing fancy or special, the prices are on par with our arguably crappy iron and ferrous ones.... these cost a few bucks each after you do the GBP to USD conversion.
I just thought I would pose the question up here in the remote chance that someone could help or give some insight. Ordering from overseas is possible, but aside from shipping charges likely being cost prohibitive, then you are dealing with customs and who knows what fees and time lines etc. As mundane as an item like this can be, made from brass would logically check off a lot of boxes, aestheitcs, corrosion, eliminate galvanic risk etc.... I can't imagine that I am the only person in the long history of plumbing in the USA that has ever had a need for a simple pipe support made from brass hahahahah.

Reach4

Reaction score
https://www.ebay.com/itm/233202003076
s-l1600.jpg

Christian Garibaldi

Reaction score
Yes! These are exactly them. I have looked on Ebay and they are available. I am familiar with this vendor as have already spoken with briefly and may wind up having to go that route. The shipping just is quite expensive and I was wondering if there were sources for these more locally. To the vendors credit, they indicated that they iwould look into getting me an accurate quote for combined quantities since Ebays default calculations seemed to have been almost costing as much if not more that the actual hangers themselves depending on the quantity and size. Im sure it still will not be inexpensive for International shipping though. But that may be the reality. Thank you for responding and for the help!

Christian Garibaldi

Reaction score
https://www.empireindustries.com/products/pipe-hangers-and-supports/

http://itpny.net/fig-41b.html

Well about two seconds later I find these... they are a US address and says made in USA. It looks like you have a choice of at least two.
Yes and thank you! I am familiar with both of those outfits, and your response reminded me that years back I had reached out to both of them and they indeed do have them. ITP had sent me some info on them and Empire sent me a sample to see. I admit, that was a brain fart on my behalf not remembering (In my defense, I looked back at my emails with them and it was from 2016.... so its been a minute hahah) I will reach out to them both again and thank you kindly for the reply and for helping to jostle my memory for me :)

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
they look good ! kinda pricey? if exposed or older home it might look real clean and worth the cost to a customer with taste.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
The reason you can't find them available here is that nobody uses them.. nobody wants to stock a bunch of heavy expensive parts that nobody is buying. I've probably got a handful of them that I have never used and never will.

I would only use something like that if it were specified for a project that had exposed piping and they wanted that specific look.. or likely just paint something to match.

Christian Garibaldi

Reaction score
I agree, I think that they indeed look good. Arguably better than the common ones we have in steel or coated steel...... I realize that's also a matter of personal taste..... and most of the time, in most of the applications, nobody would give a rats ass about a pipe support. The cost (At least doing the currency conversion from GPB to USD) certainly is a little higher, and that could add up, but the are not ridiculous IMHO.... at least comparing what the prices appear to be on the UK sites that sell them.

I dont disagree that the likely reason they arent available readily is because nobody uses them.... but I would imagine that if they were available, they would be used more? In terms of the characteristics of the material it ticks off most of the boxes..... the greater cost I am sure deters a push for them. (Again, from what I can see, its not a tremendous increase, and a short trip away across the pond they seem to use them by the bucketload.... and its not as if they are some sort of uber specialty niche item or application - hence my initial question)

I do appreciate the input and discussion though :)

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
a close relative to that hangar would be a bell hangar. cheap alternative might fit your need . like to hang off joints in basement

Christian Garibaldi

Reaction score
a close relative to that hangar would be a bell hangar. cheap alternative might fit your need . like to hang off joints in basement
Yes, I have seen those as well, a bit more on the flimsy side since they are stamped out of thin sheet. The beefier look of the cast brass along with the properties of brass itself is what I am preferring. But good suggestion and thank you none the less!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks