Connecting brass P-trap to ABS drain, without slip joint

Users who are viewing this thread

RuralAtlantic

Reaction score
I'm trying to connect a 1-1/4" brass p-trap (for an exposed vanity) to the 1-1/2" ABS drain line. The challenge is that the wall that the drain is in is very shallow (about 2.5") and the pipe escutcheon/flange is not deep enough to cover an entire slip join, it is just deep enough to cover the exposed sanitary T join (see my 2nd pic). We are putting up 3/8" thick beadboard instead of drywall, so that won't add much more depth to work with.

In my ideal situation, I would replace the 1-1/2" sanitary T with one that reduces to 1-1/4" for the p-trap, then connect them with some sort of sealant, but I don't know, is there's anything that works with brass and ABS?

The top of this T goes to the vent for this sink.

PXL_20210518_234228060.jpg

Showing how little clearance there is. Here the escutcheon is flush against the ABS, and it's just in-line with the studs, meaning the beadboard would add 3/8" clearance.

PXL_20210518_234247936.jpg

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm trying to connect a 1-1/4" brass p-trap (for an exposed vanity) to the 1-1/2" ABS drain line. The challenge is that the wall that the drain is in is very shallow (about 2.5") and the pipe escutcheon/flange is not deep enough to cover an entire slip join, it is just deep enough to cover the exposed sanitary T join (see my 2nd pic). We are putting up 3/8" thick beadboard instead of drywall, so that won't add much more depth to work with.

In my ideal situation, I would replace the 1-1/2" sanitary T with one that reduces to 1-1/4" for the p-trap, then connect them with some sort of sealant, but I don't know, is there's anything that works with brass and ABS?

The top of this T goes to the vent for this sink.
View attachment 73875

Showing how little clearance there is. Here the escutcheon is flush against the ABS, and it's just in-line with the studs, meaning the beadboard would add 3/8" clearance.
View attachment 73876
This should work

Screenshot_20210518-173051_Chrome.jpg

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
No, no sealant option. The part plumber69 mentioned (spigot trap adapter, spigot x SJ) is your lowest profile option. You can get a brass box escutcheon if necessary.

Cheers, Wayne

Last edited:

RuralAtlantic

Reaction score
I finished this project not long after my previous post, but thought I'd follow up with the result, which I'm pretty proud of. I was able to cut a cylinder of wood to slide over the slip join, so I could paint it the same colour as the wall. Now it's barely noticeable, which the wife was pleased about.
PXL_20210626_213024684.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks