Can flexible coupling be installed on a toilet drain 3" ABS pipe?

Users who are viewing this thread

Marius

Reaction score
I'm doing a bathroom reno on second floor, and in the process, I'm replacing the bathtub with a shower. The current bathtub drain 1 1/2" ABS it connects with the 3" ABS drain coming from toilet using a 3" wye ABS. I have to cut the wye and install a new one, this time on opposite direction, with the 1 1/2" filliped on the other side, where would merge with the new shower drain.
The problem I have, the 3" drain pipe is fixed, and doesn't allow movement to install a regular, fixed coupling.
It seems I have only two options:
1. To use a 3" flexible coupling (Fernco) to connect the new wye hub to the main drain
2. To replace the entire drain, including toilet flange and approx 5ft of new 3" pipe (and cutting more subfloor). This way the new wye can be glued to the main drain.
I appreciate your thoughts on the two options and which one is recommended. Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_6533.JPG
    IMG_6533.JPG
    115.8 KB · Views: 1,189
  • IMG_6540.JPG
    IMG_6540.JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 596

Marius

Reaction score
Use a shielded (metal band around the rubber) coupling.
Thank you for your response! I also thought about the shielded coupling (I think also called no-hub coupling), however, looking at some pictures, it seems the shielded version has a stopper in the middle, on the inside of the rubber. This stopper would prevent the rubber sliding back and forth, on the pipe, effectively having the same problem I had with the regular coupling (that gets glued).

Reach4

Reaction score
This stopper would prevent the rubber sliding back and forth, on the pipe, effectively having the same problem I had with the regular coupling (that gets glued).
That does not prevent you from sliding the whole rubber onto one of the pipes. Sliding on plastic is easier than sliding on metal. Sliding takes some work.

Dish detergent is often used as a lube.

While it is easiest if you can slide the shield farther on out of the way, it is also possible to remove the shield, and put it on around the rubber once the rubber part is in place.

I did not mean to suggest option 1 is better than option 2. I was just saying that if you use non-glued connections the couplings should have the shield.

Marius

Reaction score
Thank you everyone for your quick replies!!

Based on your responses, it seems that shielded coupling facilitates sliding, so I would definitely use this one, as clearly provides better support and prevents sagging.

Any thoughts if option #1 merits the extra effort? Clearly it requires more effort, cutting the subfloor and rebuilding the entire toilet drain, Is it really worth it, all that extra effort, or the shielded coupling would work, long term, as good as the permanent glued coupling?

Reach4

Reaction score
Any thoughts if option #1 merits the extra effort? Clearly it requires more effort, cutting the subfloor and rebuilding the entire toilet drain, Is it really worth it, all that extra effort, or the shielded coupling would work, long term, as good as the permanent glued coupling?
You may want to make a better plan view (bird's eye x-ray view) if you want opinions on that.

Marius

Reaction score
That does not prevent you from sliding the whole rubber onto one of the pipes. Sliding on plastic is easier than sliding on metal. Sliding takes some work.

Dish detergent is often used as a lube.

While it is easiest if you can slide the shield farther on out of the way, it is also possible to remove the shield, and put it on around the rubber once the rubber part is in place.

I did not mean to suggest option 1 is better than option 2. I was just saying that if you use non-glued connections the couplings should have the shield.

Thank you Reach4 for clarifications, and pointing out for the dish detergent!

Instead using dish detergent as a lube, I was also wondering if I could use a thin layer of Pipe Joint Compound (see pic). Beside making easier to slide, I'm wondering if the pipe dope would provide a better sealing between the rubber and ABS pipe.

To rephrase my question, would the pipe dope do any damage to the flexible coupling?

Attachments

• pipe.jpg
    pipe.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 580

Reach4

Reaction score
To rephrase my question, would the pipe dope do any damage to the flexible coupling?
While I doubt it would do damage, I doubt it would be as slippery. I understand that bottle you posted the image indicates it has PTFE. If you have both, as a test I would put on some nitrile gloves, and slide finger against thumb with each as a lube. I am not a pro.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
the shielded coupling (I think also called no-hub coupling)
To clarify, shielded couplings and no hubs are slightly different. No hubs use a thinner corrugated shield and are only for connecting cast iron to cast iron. Shielded couplings have a thicker uncorrugated shield, and are available for a variety of different pie combinations. Fernco and Misson are the primary makes of shielded couplings.

Cheers, Wayne

Marius

Reaction score
To clarify, shielded couplings and no hubs are slightly different. No hubs use a thinner corrugated shield and are only for connecting cast iron to cast iron. Shielded couplings have a thicker uncorrugated shield, and are available for a variety of different pie combinations. Fernco and Misson are the primary makes of shielded couplings.

Cheers, Wayne
Thank you for pointing out the difference!
I thought they're the same, but clearly they're not. In my case, the shielded coupling looks a better candidate.

Marius

Reaction score
You may want to make a better plan view (bird's eye x-ray view) if you want opinions on that.
Please refer to the new picture, as I've tried to highlight the layout for option #1.

Attachments

• IMG_6544.JPG
    IMG_6544.JPG
    100.2 KB · Views: 670

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Shower drains are typically 2".

I assume the riser on the right of your photo is for the lavatory(s)? That would be wet venting the shower and WC.

I don't see what the blue option gets you. The combined WC/shower/lav drain continues somewhere, so you'd still be working between fixed ends.

Just cut out the wye and install a new wye in the orientation you want using two shielded couplings.

Cheers, Wayne

Marius

Reaction score
Shower drains are typically 2".

I assume the riser on the right of your photo is for the lavatory(s)? That would be wet venting the shower and WC.

I don't see what the blue option gets you. The combined WC/shower/lav drain continues somewhere, so you'd still be working between fixed ends.

Just cut out the wye and install a new wye in the orientation you want using two shielded couplings.

Cheers, Wayne
Thank you, that's a good point! My house is about 15 years old, and back then Builders used 1 1/2" for shower and tubs. Now that I'm redoing the shower drain entirely, I would get the 3 x 3 x 2 Wye hub, and use 2" ABS pipe all the way to the shower drain (p-trap etc). This would align more with the newer code.

As for the blue option (option #1), as I work my way from the Wye hub towards the toilet, I should be able to glue all the fittings, all the way to the toilet flange (hence, I would always have a non-fix end). But there is considerable effort to cut subfloor and rebuild the toilet flange.

Yes, using the shielded coupling seems the most efficient solution (and easiest), but wanted to get a second opinion, from someone that has more experience with this type of drain problem.

Reach4

Reaction score
We are mostly not familiar with Ontario plumbing code. That code does not appear to give free access. So some things we know differ from US codes, but I don't know if 1.5 is still OK for a new shower. US codes generally call for the 2-inch now.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
As for the blue option (option #1), as I work my way from the Wye hub towards the toilet, I should be able to glue all the fittings, all the way to the toilet flange (hence, I would always have a non-fix end).
I don't understand this comment, based on the way the tub wye is oriented, the WC is downstream of the tub, so you wouldn't always have a free end, there would be the downstream fixed end to connect to.

Cheers, Wayne

Michael Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm doing a bathroom reno on second floor, and in the process, I'm replacing the bathtub with a shower. The current bathtub drain 1 1/2" ABS it connects with the 3" ABS drain coming from toilet using a 3" wye ABS. I have to cut the wye and install a new one, this time on opposite direction, with the 1 1/2" filliped on the other side, where would merge with the new shower drain.
The problem I have, the 3" drain pipe is fixed, and doesn't allow movement to install a regular, fixed coupling.
It seems I have only two options:
1. To use a 3" flexible coupling (Fernco) to connect the new wye hub to the main drain
2. To replace the entire drain, including toilet flange and approx 5ft of new 3" pipe (and cutting more subfloor). This way the new wye can be glued to the main drain.
I appreciate your thoughts on the two options and which one is recommended. Thank you!

Just open the floor and do it the right way. The fernco IS NOT A LEGAL FITTING. And your stated purpose for wanting to use one is so you can cheat a little bit to make things work. That is a really bad decision. Do it 100% right, DO put a water test on it. And yes - go ahead and call in a homeowner permit and get it inspected. If you get it wrong and it leaks later - how much shit are you going to have to tear out to fix it. DO IT RIGHT 100% OF TE TIME. You know cheating with that fernco is a bad idea. You have the skill to do this work and you're going to cheap out over a freakin’ sheet of plywood!! are you nuts!

- Mike
https://homeservicestriad.com

Mr tee

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thank you Reach4 for clarifications, and pointing out for the dish detergent!

Instead using dish detergent as a lube, I was also wondering if I could use a thin layer of Pipe Joint Compound (see pic). Beside making easier to slide, I'm wondering if the pipe dope would provide a better sealing between the rubber and ABS pipe.

If you use a shielded coupling you do not slide it, you fold one side back. The rubber is thinner than the unshielded.

Reach4

Reaction score
If you use a shielded coupling you do not slide it, you fold one side back.
Then I was doing it wrong. I think you would have to do some sliding, but apparently not as much as I did. I think "slide" implies something easier than it is.

Sliding over the galvanized was tedious, and involved prying with a screwdriver.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
You could slide a Shielded coupling/No hub band back like a repair coupling... but its a lot harder than just folding one side back over itself on the pipe. Folding back couplings is something every plumber does time and time again..

Pipe Dope is a terrible idea for a lube as its messy and extremely viscous.. meaning its a much larger particle than a soap.. and it will stay liquid for a LONG time.. its just a terrible idea.

Attachments

• sheilded couplings.jpg
    sheilded couplings.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 646
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks