Copper joint. Was it lead free?

Users who are viewing this thread

Tughillrzr

In the Trades
Reaction score
Just sold a house and a bank was asking for this to be signed. It was brand new so you’d assume all fittings are lead free.

Attachments

• D5E299DA-2A45-462D-BFAB-40D14E363808.jpeg
    D5E299DA-2A45-462D-BFAB-40D14E363808.jpeg
    55 KB · Views: 155

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Just sold a house and a bank was asking for this to be signed. It was brand new so you’d assume all fittings are lead free.
yes interesting , And I could sign that on a home I built but on a 40 year old home that I didn't build I'd have to be lying . even if I could inspect a copper joint Id be guessing about the rest of a home being "Lead free"

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There are tests for lead paint, and the paint itself will have a fairly small percentage of lead, so I think the tests would detect it in solder. It wouldn't hurt to call them and ask. More than one company makes lead tests, and one might be more suitable for your intended task.

On a home that old, I would not be comfortable certifying that everything in it was lead-free...just too many things, and you may not be able to test them all. I'd consider passing on the job...too much liability unless I understood the guidelines better.

Tughillrzr

In the Trades
Reaction score
yes interesting , And I could sign that on a home I built but on a 40 year old home that I didn't build I'd have to be lying . even if I could inspect a copper joint Id be guessing about the rest of a home being "Lead free"

True. Also how do I know if I didn’t grab a non lead free fitting on accident? Or like you said how the heck would you know what’s been done to house if your a second or third owner. Gotta be some gadget out there to test.

Themp

Reaction score
House built in 1984. The city I live in decided to test older homes for lead. I had to draw water from the kitchen sink first thing in the morning after sitting in the pipes all night. My home passed. You can get a water filter that will remove lead. But I think it will remove flouride also.

DIYorBust

Reaction score
Thanks folks, yes it's an annoying situation, I may have to speak with an engineer about whether they can test and sign off, I can see why a plumber would not want to do this.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
DIY even a test like themp stated might not agree with paper you need signed all it means is no water was found to contain lead not necessarily that your copper joints weren't soldered with solder containing lead . So unless the person reads what they are certifying no way of knowing. for example I can't certify that I plumbed your entire house with lead free solder if I didn't plumb it.
sharing the info you have like the exact form you need signed would help even 26 posts in if you noticed we have been guessing and trying to help , don't even know if this is just a city , county ,state form or what.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I tried looking up the same paper and the law/code behind it but I failed. I don't think it would be possible or reasonable to have a requirement that wants you to verify something that you can't verify. I'm of the opinion that the document is asking that you verify that the NEW work you've installed is lead free.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I tried looking up the same paper and the law/code behind it but I failed. I don't think it would be possible or reasonable to have a requirement that wants you to verify something that you can't verify. I'm of the opinion that the document is asking that you verify that the NEW work you've installed is lead free.
yea but he isn't going to tell us just leave us scratching our heads guessing what he wants. still vague 30 posts in

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Thanks folks, yes it's an annoying situation, I may have to speak with an engineer about whether they can test and sign off, I can see why a plumber would not want to do this.

A legitimate plumber would never take on the liability of signing off another plumber's work.

The exposure to a lawsuit would not be worth it.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
I switched over early to 95/5 when I found I was getting fewer leaks with it. When the other plumbers I talked to found out that 95/5 meant fewer leaks they switched over too.
I went eighth months without a copper leak at one point, doing nothing but installing copper pipes and fittings in new construction.

Terry NYC in the early 1970's allowed Copper type L to be installed but it had to be brazed and allowed 50-50 for one family residential buildings

Due to the safe water drinking act 50 - 50 was outlawed and in lieu of brazing 95 -5 was allowed

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks