PVC instead of brass tailpiece with pop-up drain assembly?

Users who are viewing this thread

Treedy

Reaction score
I'm installing a new tub in my bathroom that has a spring pop-up drain that uses metal linkages. Can I use a PVC tailpiece instead of the brass one supplied with the kit? Or is there a danger in having metal linkages inside the PVC?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
I would stay with the kit. Brass will probably out last PVC. If the linkage rubs on the PVC during use, it could eventually wear a hole through the pipe. Only my opinion, not from experience.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I can't envision the kit you're referencing. Got a model number? I know the old Kohler Clearflo is a brass kit that is specific to several kohler tubs.. I can't think of a reason why plastic wouldn't work as long as its schedule 40 PVC/ABS and definately NOT tubular plastic. But.. not really sure which drain you're working with..

Manufacture won't stand behind your modifications if that's of any importance to you.

Personally I like to install a cable drive or a clicker style drain because they have the least amount of parts to create clogs.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks