Good/Better/Best Fridge Water Filter ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Chefwong

Reaction score
I've never had our fridges hooked up to the water filters. It's plumbed for it ....but IMO fridge lines freezing, etc. More problem than worth. Have always like fresh ice anyways so we tend to use ice trays based on -frequency-. Have always had a countertop pitcher style filter for water (whether the carbon on it did anything meaningful), TBD for water.

Anyhow, the countertop style manuf (German) is NLA availablele here and I am re-considering just hooking the fridge up, inline with a good filter.

Filters are all something new to me, but based on past threads, the only thing that seemed to be a constant is fellow forum members saying make sure your filter media is USA based.

Anyhow, any recommendations for a filter to put inline before I hook up the fridge.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
In order for a filter to be effective contact time is the key. Carbon can reduce chlorine easily but other contaminants like organic solvents, thm's voc's etc benefit from longer contact times than standard little filters can handle. A larger format filter would be ideal. I don't want to mention any name brands in an open forum for obvious reasons so I will PM you.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
I've never had our fridges hooked up to the water filters. It's plumbed for it ....but IMO fridge lines freezing, etc. More problem than worth. Have always like fresh ice anyways so we tend to use ice trays based on -frequency-. Have always had a countertop pitcher style filter for water (whether the carbon on it did anything meaningful), TBD for water. Anyhow, the countertop style manuf (German) is NLA available here and I am re-considering just hooking the fridge up, inline with a good filter. Filters are all something new to me, but based on past threads, the only thing that seemed to be a constant is fellow forum members saying make sure your filter media is USA based. Anyhow, any recommendations for a filter to put inline before I hook up the fridge.

I'm assuming this is a residence refrigerator, if this filter is for a commercial setting, ignore the rest of the post.

Most newer refrigerators have a built in filter. They are usually quite expensive s compared to the old in line filter that was very common at one time. Depending on your arrangement, instilling a jar type filter is very doable. As far as the filter itself, it should be NSF certified. Country of origin my noting thing to do with it if it is NSF certified.

In line water filter is not a good choice since you usually need to roll out the refrigerator to replace it. You must unthread the water line. Sometimes it's difficult to find spot behind the big box. There are all kinds of under the counter water filters and each style has its merits. It really what you want.
ez-flo-refrigerator-water-filters-60461n-64_100.jpg

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
I never use the filters that come with a refrigerator. Strictly inline filters. Very easy to replace and cheaper

Bannerman

Reaction score
I feed our fridge's Ice & Water dispenser from our RO system. I have removed the fridge's filter cartridge that the replacement costs $48 Canadian @ HD. Although the cartridge has been removed, the fridge continues to prompt for the cartridge to be replaced at least 2X per year.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks