Plant Material in Sprinkler Screens

Users who are viewing this thread

Ghost

Reaction score
We use one of those lawn tractor sprinklers that roll slowly along a length of hose, and also some tripod impact sprinklers. The filter screens on those devices, where the hose screws into them, get clogged with what appears to be plant material. The hoses are connected to a frost free yard hydrant.

We've owned the home for 8 years, with 7 being a rental and the last year we've been up here full time. The water to the house has never had any clogging issues and I'm unaware of any filter along the lines anywhere. If there were a filter, I would expect to have issues with clogging since nothing would have been done with it all those years.

Any idea where that plant material might be coming from and why it would only appear in the hose line and not the lines to the house?

Our well is 42 years old, 160' deep, with a static water level of 26.' The well report says it has/had a 20GPM flow, but it only has a 9GPM pump in it. We did (tried to do) a well draw down after we bought the property, but after 4 hours there was minimal change since it appears the pump couldn't pump faster than the well recovery rate.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Reach4

Reaction score
Green, brown, or black? If green, I would be thinking algae.

Reach4

Reaction score
Algae needs light to grow. Light may be able to penetrate the hose. I have no experience with this. If this is suspected, a black hose should be able to better block light.

Ghost

Reaction score
Algae needs light to grow. Light may be able to penetrate the hose. I have no experience with this. If this is suspected, a black hose should be able to better block light.
Thanks again for the replies!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks