How to remove galvanized pipe nipple from enclosed wall

Users who are viewing this thread

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It takes more time, tools, and skill to install a solid supply line...time is money, so most often, people will slap on a flexible hose. A solid line won't leak at the connector or burst, so is essentially a lifetime install until you change your toilet out. Stores stock what sells. In the case of the big box stores, sometimes that includes things that shouldn't be used at all!

Myhouse

Reaction score
Tonight I looked at the nipple for the other toilet.

Taking lessons learned from the first one, I got a magnet and checked the pipe. It's not magnetic, it's chrome-plated brass.

But I had to take the valve off to have a look inside the pipe. Where is all my rust-colored junk coming from? Well, not from inside the nipple or valve, both were perfectly clean. Like the nipple, the valve was brass too.

It's a good thing the nipple is brass, obviously, but also because this 90 does not appear to be mounted to anything. Fortunately it was long enough to get a pipe wrench on it.

I noticed there was some blue silicone glue-like substance on the threads. White tape is there now.

So, on to other possible solutions for the rust issue. I'll try the bleach idea in the overflow tube on this one. It seems to have fixed the problem (a different problem) on the other one, but not enough time has really passed to say for sure.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks