Main shutoff install

Users who are viewing this thread

Rossn

Reaction score
I am going to be installing a new main shutoff valve in my home, as part of the re-plumb that starts today. The service line enters the home about 6" off the ground, which is about 3' below grade. I could not locate any code requirements in IPC, but please point out the section if you know it.

1) How high or low is the valve typically installed (not sure if it can be below grade level, or if it is as soon as possible upon entry, versus at easy-access height)?

2) Does anyone recommend installing a ball valve with a drain, such as this, or is this not a good practice or just more of a risk with a second valve?

Thanks!

upload_2021-4-30_11-50-46.png

Reach4

Reaction score
Does anyone recommend installing a ball valve with a drain, such as this, or is this not a good practice or just more of a risk with a second valve?
A drain lets you drain the house plumbing in case it is going to go without heat. If you put a boiler drain valve below, that could allow system draining, so the shutoff would not need its own drain.

You really mean that this enters the basement wall about 6 inches above the basement floor, right?

Rossn

Reaction score
In reality, if I have a freeze event, I'm toast, since there is radiant throughout. That said, there may be times I would cutover from city supply to well, and I would have a second cutoff valve further downstream, but would be nice to drain out the leg. Just didn't want to do that if it would be considered a bit odd.

Yes, water entry point about 6" off the slab. The slab is about 3.5' below grade.

The 4 frost-free hose bibs I have will also each have a cutoff valve with drain, unless I can get them fully slope to the hose bib, after the cutoff valve.

Mr tee

In the Trades
Reaction score
If the valve is in a moist area the handle will eventually rust off unless it is stainless.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks