Can You Use Submersible Pump in a Water Storage Tank

Users who are viewing this thread

Snowdoggirl

Reaction score
I rent in an agricultural area and outside the village limits (no public water/sewer). I have a 1500 gal tank for which house water is brought in every 6 weeks or so. A round 250 gallon water tank sits on sawhorses at a slight incline outside and is topped off during summer and fall. There is an 6 inch diameter opening for the water delivery hose. I would like to find an inexpensive way to pump water out of the tank for car washing and watering plants around house. With no pump the water trickles out of the garden hose obviously and is useless. I thought maybe one could put something like a small submersible pond pump in the tank and somehow push the water into the garden hose which is connected to the coupler in the picture. If that's not possible, is there any way to pump the water after it exits the spigot on the coupler? I'm not looking for firehouse pressure, just a little bit to facilitate the flow.
Thank you

Snowdoggirl

Reaction score
I rent in an agricultural area and outside the village limits (no public water/sewer). I have a 1500 gal tank for which house water is brought in every 6 weeks or so. A round 250 gallon water tank sits on sawhorses at a slight incline outside and is topped off during summer and fall. There is an 6 inch diameter opening for the water delivery hose. I would like to find an inexpensive way to pump water out of the tank for car washing and watering plants around house. With no pump the water trickles out of the garden hose obviously and is useless. I thought maybe one could put something like a small submersible pond pump in the tank and somehow push the water into the garden hose which is connected to the coupler in the picture. If that's not possible, is there any way to pump the water after it exits the spigot on the coupler? I'm not looking for firehouse pressure, just a little bit to facilitate the flow.
Thank you

Thank you.
coupler_crop.jpg tank_crop.jpg

Snowdoggirl

Reaction score
Can you tell me what I am looking at in your image? Is this something I buy assembled? Do I buy the parts and put together? Please assume I am unschooled when it comes to getting water out of the tank and into the garden hose. Thank you

s10010001

Reaction score
Seems like a simple enough tasks for a basic submersible pump or a small pump on the outside feed from the hose output.

this is cheap, I can’t speak for its quality for life span but it’s simple, plugs into normal outlet and uses water hoses . just an example
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XC615GC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_96WT0QCN4R05CTZ80V4D

More expensive but these are great little pump. I use the 12v versions in my rv.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076TGWYDK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_BEKBK4DK5Z2G4MYFCWH1

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
You can also lay a submersible on its side many different ways when the tank is shallow.

View attachment 73484

That cradle is just made from a couple pieces of 4" PVC pipe to hold the pump off off the bottom. Just about anyway you can get the sub mounted in the tank will work. Or you can use a jet pump like this.

LOW YIELD WELL_ CENTRIFUGAL_PK1A.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks