Can this copper tube be reliably pressed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Rossn

Reaction score
Starting to re-plumb the interior, and am using viega propress. I discovered that the soft K copper coming into the home is oblong and also has a dent. An inch off the outer wall, it measures about 1.06" x 1.18", so it is oblong.

Can it reliably be pressed? I'd rather not excavate and core larger through the wall to prep for larger future supply with 1-1/4 or 1-1/2, but will do so if the connection won't be reliable.

Any advise on pressing this (cleanup, etc) welcomed.

water_supply_1.jpg
water_supply_2.jpg

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Looks like this document addresses the basic idea of using Propress with soft copper:

https://www.viega.us/content/dam/vi...p_0220_propress_copper_tube_compatibility.pdf

There are rerounding tools to restore the soft copper to round after cutting it. The style I have used is an outer cylinder form and a tapered inner cylindrical plug you hammer into the pipe.

With new work, I infer that you could press a fitting onto the rerounded soft copper. Not sure about the complexities of dealing with the old work shown in your pictures.

Cheers, Wayne

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
There might be specific sizes of soft copper that are excluded from being pressed.. I recall looking it up once, but forget which or whether that is true.

OK.. Found it. Limits the larger sizes of soft copper.

https://www.turtle.com/ASSETS/DOCUMENTS/ITEMS/EN/ProPress_79130_Catalog.pdf

Viega® ProPress fittings are for use with type K, L and M hard copper tubing from ½" to 4" and soft copper tubing in ½" to 1¼" diameters. All tubing must comply with the ASTM B88 standard. ProPress fittings are approved for installations in both above- and below-ground applications. Per code, local inspector approval must be obtained prior to installation below ground.

Rossn

Reaction score
Thanks, guys. Good to know, the manufacturer certifies the fittings for below-grade use if the AHJ approves. I also called the tech line at Viega earlier, and they didn't see any issues; however, I fear without re-rounding the tubing, I won't be able to get the fitting on without damaging the o-ring.

Wayne - thanks for the tip on the re-rounding tool. I am going to find one of those, as it sounds perfect, and a better than using a crescent wrench - esp. in the tight space I am dealing with. I really only get one shot at this, before I'm having to dig on the exterior, one more headache I could stand to do without!

Rossn

Reaction score
Took forever, but finally located a re-rounding tool locally. For the most part, the plumbing supply houses didn't even know what I was referring to. The water meter/main companies were the ones that had them, though a lot more spendy than ordering online.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks