Raleigh, NC Plumbing Feedback/Inspection

Users who are viewing this thread

bitshifter

Reaction score
I'm remodeling the master bathroom in my house. Good plumber's are hard to find. I used to help my dad remodel rentals and did work with habitat for humanity. I decided to give it a shot. Attached is an image of my current approach, nothing has been glued yet. I would appreciate any feedback from the experts here. Thanks for your time

Attachments

• 20210424_174529.jpg
    20210424_174529.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 183

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You have 2" to the right. I use a 2 x 1.5 x 1.5 x 1.5 double fixture fitting.
Revent at 42" off the floor, six inches above flood level.

double_lav_rough_1.jpg

bitshifter

Reaction score
You have 2" to the right. I use a 2 x 1.5 x 1.5 x 1.5 double fixture fitting.
Revent at 42" off the floor, six inches above flood level.

double_lav_rough_1.jpg

Where would I place cleanout? Above double fixture? Previous, was single vanity, had a cleanout, see attachemt. Also I take it it's better to keep the 2in as long as possible for ease of flow? Thanks for feedback!

Attachments

• 20210424_183618.jpg
    20210424_183618.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 177

Reach4

Reaction score
If getting the vent to 6 inches above the flood level of the sink before it goes horizontal is a problem, 45 degrees is considered vertical for that purpose.

Attachments

• img_2.jpg
    img_2.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 162

bitshifter

Reaction score
Got it, thanks for pic! I'll try 45 there. And 2in split to double 1.5 in the middle. I take it I can leave the 2in traveling up on the right? I might have to keep cleanout if ok by code. The new vanity has drawers in the middle, along with double sinks, another reason I'm splitting in middle and not moving cleanout there.

Reach4

Reaction score
I think that vent pipe at 45 could be done in 1.25 inch pipe under IPC.

2 inch for the vertical vent with the cleanout makes perfect sense for effective cleaning.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I think that vent pipe at 45 could be done in 1.25 inch pipe under IPC.

Where do you find 1.25 DWV pipe and fittings in plastic? I find all kinds of 1.5" pipe and fittings. I wasn't plumbing in the 60's when they were using 1.25" copper and galvanized for DWV.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Just a comment...dry fitting PVC pipe will not get things aligned as you expect once you prime and add the cement...you'll end up pushing the pipe further into the fitting. If you didn't take that into account, your pipe lengths will be off, or you'll shift everything as the whole shebang compresses. The pipe fittings for PVC (and ABS) are tapered, and the cement melts the plastic, which is why the pipe will slide in further. In dry fitting, the pipe will wedge in the fitting before it reaches the bottom where it needs to go.

bitshifter

Reaction score
Awesome! One thing to note, I can't find a double sanitary tee, 2in to 1.5(3 connector) I can find it in abs, but ABS isn't sold in stores here:

NIBCO 1-1/2 in. PVC DWV All Hub Double Sanitary Tee
https://www.homedepot.com/p/NIBCO-1-1-2-in-PVC-DWV-All-Hub-Double-Sanitary-Tee-C4835HD112/100678015
SKU# 100678015

I guess I could do the 2x2x1.5x1.5 and cap it with 2-1.5 adapter, or just run 2 all the way through:

NIBCO 2 in. x 2 in. x 1-1/2 in. x 1-1/2 in. PVC DWV All Hub Double Sanitary Tee
https://www.homedepot.com/p/NIBCO-2...Double-Sanitary-Tee-C4835HD22112112/205799568
SKU# 205799568

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
"A person who uses a sanitary cross for that connection, is usually not experienced enough to KNOW that you also put a cleanout tee below it. I had a motel where EVERY two sink connection was a cross and there were NO cleanout tees. I had to make openings in the wall, and drill a hole in the vent above the fitting to snake it. Then I put a "repair clamp" over the hole to prevent leakage."

hj, Master plumber.
Harry Jacobson

Harry and I use double fixture fittings. Not a sanitary cross. If you can find a 2" double fixture fitting, you can bush down the three sides.
Terry Love

bitshifter

Reaction score
I found one online:

Spears P500 Series PVC DWV Pipe Fitting, Double Fixture Wye, 2" x 1-1/2" x 1-1/2" x 1-1/2" Hub
https://www.amazon.com/Spears-Pipe-Fitting-Double-Fixture/dp/B009H41BOO?th=1

I cannot find this part anywhere else, even the 2 inch are hard to find. Why do the home depots adn lowes only care the double sanitary tees and not the double fixture? It makes sense to use it over double sanitary tee.

Attachments

• 61ja86Pp-aL._SL1500_.jpg
    61ja86Pp-aL._SL1500_.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 189

bitshifter

Reaction score
So revisions, i'm going to try to make this short and clean. The new attachment shows everything I'm changing.
  • The green line shows I'm going to extend further up to get above flood plane, about 42"
  • I guess i'll keep the cleanout, not sure i need to move above double fixture as you can snake now.
  • for the black circled elbows, is it better for them to be long or short, going out to sink?
  • The yellow i'm switching out for the part above, PVC DWV Pipe Fitting, Double Fixture Wye
  • the circled Tee, should I change that to a 2" wye or keep 2" sanitary tee? I read wye is better but might not allow for proper drainage.
  • black line is going to be changed to 2" along with elbow.

Attachments

• Revisions_plumbing.jpg
    Revisions_plumbing.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 145

Reach4

Reaction score

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Personally I would forget the 45. Straight up and 90 in to vent. I don't run through studs on 45 without a very good reason. Clean out on top is fine . and as for the 90s on side a long sweep is better though your code may approve (we have UPC and long sweep required)

bitshifter

Reaction score
I appreciate all the help here! I'm glad to say I'm moving on to the next part of this project, the new Bathtub!! I'm curious how to get started with this. I would like to move the drain to the other side of the bathroom and install a new standalone faucet for the standalone tub. See attached pic. My questions are:
Again, thanks for all the great input, this site is a life saver!!

Attachments

• bathtub.jpg
    bathtub.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:

bitshifter

Reaction score
Is there a solid reason why I have to use mechanical couplers instead of Transition cement? We apparently are not allowed to use cement by code, but seems like it would be more reliable Any input on my previous post greatly appreciated.

Mr tee

In the Trades
Reaction score
Transition cement is not more reliable than nohub couplings, but they need to be the shielded type for your application.

Reach4

Reaction score
Is there a solid reason why I have to use mechanical couplers instead of Transition cement? We apparently are not allowed to use cement by code, but seems like it would be more reliable Any input on my previous post greatly appreciated.
Considering transition cement implies that the existing pipes are ABS.

Even if the existing pipes were PVC, you would probably still want to use the shielded couplings. Glued PVC repair couplings I think are tricky. The shielded couplings are nice for inserting pipe between existing pipes.

If you are asking if there is a technical reason that IPC does not embrace this green transition cement for free mixing of ABS and PVC? I tend to think no, but that does not matter. https://www.startribune.com/can-i-join-abs-to-pvc/455805773/

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks