New Bathroom Sink Draining Issue

Users who are viewing this thread

esjr

Reaction score
Hello,
My issue is I have recently installed a new bathroom faucet and matching drain. When I turn on the faucet the water eventually backs up the drain and fills the basin. The sink is equipped with an overflow drain. When I installed the new drain I cut the side hole (on the new drain downpipe) to be bigger to allow it to line up with the existing overflow hole. Did I somehow get air trapped inside keeping it from draining? Interestingly, I installed just the old drain back into the basin and it still backs up. I also went on top of the roof to look into the vent stack and didn't see any obstruction. It does not have (nor ever had) a AAV installed. Also the sink is NOT a vessel sink. Below the sink is a typical down pipe to a P-trap then into the wall. Standard it seems.
Thank you for all the wisdom shared here inside these forums. Your expertise is appreciated tremendously!

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Making the side hole larger was not necessary. The overflow built into the sink basin surrounds the drain pipe so overflow water can flow from anywhere. Notice below the white channel goes around the drain.

Have you tried the drain without the stopper? Did you remove the trap completely and clean it? With the trap arm removed eyeball the drain pipe with a flashlight. For bathroom sinks clumps of hair is usually the culprit.

a18a4c03cac977d23586a4fc45fd0123.png

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It's likely needing to be snaked. A bathroom sink can have toothpaste, hair and soap in the waste line.

The other thing to check is how far the p-trap goes toward the wall. I always cut them off flush with the wall so that the end piece doesn't block the 90 or santee in the wall.

esjr

Reaction score
Making the side hole larger was not necessary. The overflow built into the sink basin surrounds the drain pipe so overflow water can flow from anywhere. Notice below the white channel goes around the drain.

Have you tried the drain without the stopper? Did you remove the trap completely and clean it? With the trap arm removed eyeball the drain pipe with a flashlight. For bathroom sinks clumps of hair is usually the culprit.

a18a4c03cac977d23586a4fc45fd0123.png

Thanks for your responses. The sinks overflow drain ends with a hole not a channel described in your image. Similar to how it begins at the top of the basin. I have removed the pipe completely down to the p-trap and cleaned it. I ran nearly 25 ft of snake into the pipe and there was nothing that would cause a clog. I have tried the drain w/o the stopper and it backs up. Oddly, this sink was working fine before the new faucet install. Did I somehow trap air inside? :-\\

Reach4

Reaction score
To test for the air thing, shove a soda straw down the drain, and let air below come up through that straw. If that increases flow, then your drain may not be connecting sufficiently with the overflow area. The overflow holes can not only let water go down, they can let air escape.

esjr

Reaction score
Hello Reach4,
I did clear out the overflow tube. It wasn't bad at all. Nothing obstructing it. However, I would like to test your theory. I'm not sure i understand the process.

Reach4

Reaction score
Can you lift out the stopper, and if you do, is the flow no-problem?

Can you have the stopper open, and slip a small tube, such as a soda straw, through the crack, and down to the pop-up area?

The problem is not a vent thing that outside of the sink area before the trap.

esjr

Reaction score
Turning the water on lightly, I remove the stopper, look down the pipe and see the water traveling back up. The more I open the valve the faster it backs up. Just so I try this correctly, was this how you suggested I insert the straw into the drain? Thank you!

Attachments

• PXL_20210429_001051670.jpg
    PXL_20210429_001051670.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 207

esjr

Reaction score
Yes so I tried this and it didn't change. The water still continues to climb back up the drain pipe. :-\

Reach4

Reaction score
That is how I pictured the straw.

Interesting. I would take the slip p-trap off, and put a bucket under the tailpiece. See how the flow is then.

OK, that is probably going to flow really well. But what if the blockage is in or beyond the p-trap?

esjr

Reaction score
That is how I pictured the straw.

Interesting. I would take the slip p-trap off, and put a bucket under the tailpiece. See how the flow is then.

OK, that is probably going to flow really well. But what if the blockage is in or beyond the p-trap?

Hello,
I have ran a snake directly into the wall w/o the p-trap installed. The total for the snake is 25ft.

esjr

Reaction score
Here are some pictures.
Thank you for your time!

Attachments

• PXL_20210429_012433941.jpg
    PXL_20210429_012433941.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 189
  • PXL_20210429_012401112.jpg
    PXL_20210429_012401112.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 223
  • PXL_20210429_012331226.jpg
    PXL_20210429_012331226.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 221
  • PXL_20210429_012538934.jpg
    PXL_20210429_012538934.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 242

Reach4

Reaction score
That is just water. I used plumbers putty to seal around the flange.
Good.
What is the bore?
The water path inside of the drain assembly.

How far down do you think your straw reached? Just below the drain actuation lever?

Does the water go down easily when the stopper is out? If yes, then it is not a drain problem.

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
so in 25 foot your lav doesn't join another drain ? unusual. maybe snake isn't going down it could be going up vent?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I replaced this tub drain yesterday and replaced the bathroom lav and faucet. All tied together.
When I tested the bathroom sink, water came up in the tub. The homeowner said, "Yes, it's been doing that when we drain the sink after brushing our teeth."
Looks like I will be sending my friend Walt in to do some snaking.

tub-wo-terrylove-01.jpg

moen-tl2368ep-replacement-06.jpg

Pulled out an old three handle valve and replaced with the Moen Posi-Temp and a TL2368EP trim.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
We can see old Durham cast iron threaded fittings.. Very likely the drain is clogged and just as likely the snake is going up the vent when it hits that terribly constructed Durham san tee.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks