Lochinvar scummy sand when flushed

Users who are viewing this thread

Doug Henningsen

Reaction score
My dad has a 2018+\- Lochinvar gas water heater on city water with a water softener. When we flush from the bottom we get rust-colored water with what appears like sand in a translucent jell or scum on the sand. We have flushed it a few days in a row and the color is much lighter but still getting scummy sand.

Any ideas on what is causing this and how to prevent this in the future (besides flushing regularly!!!...which was not done).

20210427_151600.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
I would add a sediment filter... not sure where. Maybe on the output of the softener. Maybe farther upstream. Maybe both.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
you are probably not going to rid yourself of this problem

some of this sediment is probably coming off the anode rod which is supposed
to break down as it gets older.... of course it is gonna flake to the bottom of the tank...

just flush out the heater without turning off the water to the unit and sort of power
flush it.... turn on the faucet and turn it off a dozen or so times for 10 seconds or more
each time...

full pressure sort of stirs up the junk, something like passing a kidney stone....

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks