Is there a push in 1/2“x3/8” MNPT coupling?

Users who are viewing this thread

Reach4

Reaction score
You could use compression such as Brasscraft 68-10-6X.
68-10-6x-3.jpg

You may be able to use a valve with a
https://aquamedix.net/welcome-to-my-thread-talks-3-npt-vs-npsm/

You could solder on an adapter.
30318-2.jpg

https://www.homedepot.com/p/SharkBi...ee-Dishwasher-Elbow-Fitting-U281LFA/202830513 is right-angle.

Last edited:

Mini Me

Reaction score
I am trying to avoid any aditional work like soldering or threading as I do not want to have any issues with a leak cause by my lack of experience
If there is a 1/2" x 3/8" adapter that can be soldered I can try to do that upfront before installing the stub out but I would rather use a push it fitting if I can since it will not be behind the wall and it would be fool proof :))

Reach4

Reaction score
I am trying to avoid any aditional work like soldering or threading as I do not want to have any issues with a leak cause by my lack of experience
Compression does not involve soldering or threading. It does require two wrenches, and if those wrenches are short, it requires strength. A bit of plumbing grease or pipe dope on the threads before tightening will reduce the torque needed.

I think most novices under-tighten, fearing they will crush the pipe. If you get a small leak, give the nut another 1/8 turn or so.

brass-sharkbite-brass-fittings-u281lfa-c3_100.jpg
That Sharkbite U281LFA would work very well for you. Don't orient the threads upward, but rather to the side. Then the right angle from above connects nicely.

Last edited:

Mini Me

Reaction score
Compression does not involve soldering or threading. It does require two wrenches, and if those wrenches are short, it requires strength. A bit of plumbing grease or pipe dope on the threads before tightening will reduce the torque needed.

I think most novices under-tighten, fearing they will crush the pipe. If you get a small leak, give the nut another 1/8 turn or so.

brass-sharkbite-brass-fittings-u281lfa-c3_100.jpg
That Sharkbite U281LFA would work very well for you. Don't orient the threads upward, but rather to the side. Then the right angle from above connects nicely.
Hmmm
One of the reviewers is saying it won't accept my 3/8" shower hose

Reviewed in the United States on February 21, 2016
Verified Purchase
The only MAJOR issue with this elbow is it stated "dishwasher" which I assume it would accept compression 3/8" fitting but it does not! It is a standard 3/8" nipple fitting. I looked for specs. but didn't see anything about fitting. Don't buy if you have a compression flex line as this will NOT fit.

Reach4

Reaction score
3/8 compression uses a finer thread (24 TPI) than 3/8 MNPT (18 TPI).

Last edited:

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
3/8" compression threads and 3/8" MPT are two different things. Which one does your shower column have?

Cheers, Wayne

Mini Me

Reaction score
It is a regular hose, see the manual and the pictures above so I am assuming the guy is right I did not know this detail.
So the idea to use an elbow is excellent but now I need to find the part that takes a 3/8 hose for a shower
Here is a picture of what I have
FL6TEFw.png

Mini Me

Reaction score
I guess at this point (learned more in the mean time about the various fittings and how they work) I could also use a compression fitting to transition from copper to 3/8 so the elbow end toward the copper stub out could be either 3/8 push in or 3/8 compression, right ? All I am trying to do here is to avoid soldering which I might not get it right

Reach4

Reaction score
It has 3/8" hoses that connect to a 3/8" MPT connectors
Was there something that actually said that? If so, don't lose sight of that. If not, well... dang, this has been weird.

Next you may be saying you find out that you need to connect to some metric thread.

Mini Me

Reaction score
Was there something that actually said that? If so, don't lose sight of that. If not, well... dang, this has been weird.
Nope just my own ignorance. I did not know that the NPT thread is not the same with the compression thread

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't have a 3/8" compression nut handy to measure, but I'm pretty sure that they are smaller than 1" across. Therefore your photo likely shows a connection for 3/8" MPT.

Cheers, Wayne

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
They use 9/16 UNEF thread which is 24 tpi.
Whereas 3/8" NPT threads are 18 tpi, so one approach to differentiate is to count the thread density in the nut.

I found a 3/8" compression end supply line, and its nut is 5/8" across the flats, and a bit over 11/16" across the points. So the picture is surely 3/8" NPT, and the elbow you found should work. The commenter's difficulty in the review was not understanding the difference between NPT and compression threads.

Cheers, Wayne

Mini Me

Reaction score
I called the store and the said it is a 18mm thread.
Here is a picture of the thread and of the plastic cap that came with it

Y2THUvx.png

sv8E76N.png

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks