Using heel inlet on toilet 90

Users who are viewing this thread

Tommy Dee

Reaction score
Hi,
I seem to see different things online, and a plumber friend of mine told me it’s ok in NY. Just wanna get opinions on here. Using a heel inlet on a 90 from a toilet to drain the sink. It’s all horizontal. I attached a drawing in case it helps.
thanks!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Absolutely not. A toilet should neve be dropped into a santee on it's back. The poop spreads both ways as the fitting is not directional. I hate it when I have to pull those out because the drains aren't working for the upstream fixture.

I use a 90 for the toilet and downstream of that, a 3x2 wye to pick up the lav.

Do you love snaking lav drains?

figure-310.jpg

Last edited:

Tommy Dee

Reaction score
Ok great thanks. Can connect like it’s in the photo attached. What do you think about the bends in the attached photo? Need to pull the 3 in drain away from the wall in order to fit the wye to pick up the bathtub drain. I know the last bend needs to be a long sweep- but are the other turns too much for a 3in toilet drain?
thanks again for all the help

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If that's horizontal, it wouldn't pass anywhere.
What is the santee at the top of the picture for?
And the medium 90 should be a long turn 90.

Tommy Dee

Reaction score
The santee on top connects to the vent.
Ya, it’s horizontal, and I know the last 90 should be a long sweep. any ideas? I need to pull the pipe away from the wall to get that wye in for the bathtub. thanks for all the help. I’m changing the pipes from copper and they were all connected with santee’s before..
Thanks!

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
The fitting most downstream past the wye/combination is a 90 dropping down into the wall?

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Ya. Can’t move it more to the right of the pic cause it won’t match up...

OK.. Just wanted to confirm that fitting was a 90 transitioning from H to V. And as Terry said, can we get a overall layout to help with a better fitting design? I've already got a couple ideas but they're only useful if we understand what fixtures are where on a plan view.

Tommy Dee

Reaction score
Ya sure. Attached.
I also attached a drawing (not the best) to give an idea. It’s on the 2nd floor with all the pipes in a soffit along the perimeter of the room.
Thanks guys!

Attachments

• 32AEDB49-0C7E-4041-93E2-B054E3C2F310.jpeg
    32AEDB49-0C7E-4041-93E2-B054E3C2F310.jpeg
    99 KB · Views: 278
  • 2096F57E-C72A-42BD-B6DF-2F4EEE5B295A.jpeg
    2096F57E-C72A-42BD-B6DF-2F4EEE5B295A.jpeg
    35.8 KB · Views: 276

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Here is where that side inlet 90 would work perfectly.

Here is 3 ways that I can think to get that shower plumbed in. The side inlet 90 would be the easiest with least fittings and work perfectly in your setup. Each option is color coded.

Shower Options.png

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
In the blue option with the side inlet 90, you are showing a 3" horizontal entry for WC/lav drainage, a 2" horizontal side entry for shower drainage, and 3" vertical outlet?

My understanding is that the 2" side inlet has no curvature at all. In which case certainly under the UPC, it would not be acceptable for taking the shower drainage from horizontal to vertical. Is it your understanding it is allowed for the IPC?

To get the proper curvature for the 2" side inlet, it would be possible to use a 3x3x3x2 sanitary side inlet san-tee, and just cap the top entry. [I believe that 3x3x3x2 sanitary tees with side inlet are available in two different versions, one of which has a straight side inlet, so I am using the phrase "sanitary side inlet" to denote the version with curvature on the side inlet.]

Cheers, Wayne

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
My understanding is that the 2" side inlet has no curvature at all. In which case certainly under the UPC, it would not be acceptable for taking the shower drainage from horizontal to vertical. Is it your understanding it is allowed for the IPC?

Maybe a sanitary version of the 90 isn't made. I thought some of them were.. its not a fitting I've used more than once to replace lead. But if the same configuration occurs in the TEE version use that and cap the top.... Um.. just what Wayne said
To get the proper curvature for the 2" side inlet, it would be possible to use a 3x3x3x2 sanitary side inlet san-tee, and just cap the top entry.

Just poured over a few pages of side inlet 90's and didn't see any with slope. Several of the tees do have sanitary slope.

Last edited:

Tommy Dee

Reaction score
So don’t use the side inlet on the 90 down from horizontal to vertical?
The 3x3x3x2 - how would that get me close enough to the wall to connect the 90 to the main stack?

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
A Tee replaces a 90 in this configuration.. allows the shower to enter the side. Aim the tee at a 45° angle as in the first diagram which allows more options in your joist bay.

Side Inlet Tee diagram.png

Tommy Dee

Reaction score
Ok I’ll have to see how that fits in there. And it’s ok to go from horizontal to vertical with just the santee?

Tommy Dee

Reaction score
To get the proper curvature for the 2" side inlet, it would be possible to use a 3x3x3x2 sanitary side inlet san-tee, and just cap the top entry. [I believe that 3x3x3x2 sanitary tees with side inlet are available in two different versions, one of which has a straight side inlet, so I am using the phrase "sanitary side inlet" to denote the version with curvature on the side inlet.]

I can’t seem to find a a 3x3x3x2 santee that has the side inlet with the the proper curve... can you point one out on line perhaps?
Thanks

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score

Tommy Dee

Reaction score
E.g.:

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Spears-P416-338-3-PVC-DWV-Sanitary-Tee-w-2-Left-Side-Inlet

You can see a bit of the curvature in the 3rd picture. It's subtle because a san-tee doesn't have a huge amount of curvature, and a 2" fitting has less curvature than a 3".

Also, if you track down the part number on the manufacturer's website, they have a CAD drawing or 3D model that will also show the curvature.

Cheers, Wayne
Thanks! I tracked it down on the manufactured website. I posted the specs that they have for this fitting. It seems like a slight curve, as far as I can understand. What do you think? Good enough for the horizontal to vertical flow?
Thanks

Attachments

• 8DFB26A9-24EE-430F-B40D-F6EDDB9C9AB0.png
    8DFB26A9-24EE-430F-B40D-F6EDDB9C9AB0.png
    163.8 KB · Views: 285
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks