Maax Tub- Replace of Repair?

Users who are viewing this thread

Sundance

Reaction score
I have a 16 year old Maax large soaking tub that came with the track home I bought 15 years ago. I have not treated it with love (you are not supposed to use cleanser or chemicals, and supposed to wax etc. I have learned) as I was ignorant about care when I bought it. Over the years, it has developed about 9 hairline cracks approximately where my left foot would be when showering, as well as a couple of small pits. I have no idea if the tub was installed correctly with the correct support.

I am remodeling the shower/tub area, and am trying to decide if I should try to get this repaired or if I should just replace it. It is about $1300 to replace with another Maax, about $700 to get a somewhat sized Americast AS Cambridge, and of course the gold standard "lead" cast iron Kohler is probably $1500+. Money is an issue, but I do not want to save a little now to pay out big later.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A friend mine that I play softball with had something similar with a fiberglass tub. He found an outfit that drilled holes in the bottom, added foamed support and then refinished the tub to look like new. It saved him tons of money.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks