Is it normal to leave an opening behind a shower column (see the video)

Users who are viewing this thread

Mini Me

Reaction score
So I have a shower column that I am going to install, I am planning the plumbing for now hence my question
In this video (click on the link to see the exact moment) the installer is leaving an opening in the wall where the humidity could infiltrate ..is that normal ?

shower-tower-install-01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I normally figure on some threaded connections outside of the tile, but either way works for me. I believe there is space for the hoses (supply lines) in the unit itself.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would do more to cover that gap than the video shows. I, like Terry, have to warranty our professionally installed work and the potential of water damage increases the larger a hole is left. The top of those units are wide open. As noted, its not normal to have water get back there, but people do abnormal things. Water does abnormal things. We stubbed out with threaded nipples then installed 90's in the shower unit. Wasn't simple, but a higher quality job than illustrated IMO.

Mini Me

Reaction score
I would do more to cover that gap than the video shows. I, like Terry, have to warranty our professionally installed work and the potential of water damage increases the larger a hole is left. The top of those units are wide open. As noted, its not normal to have water get back there, but people do abnormal things. Water does abnormal things. We stubbed out with threaded nipples then installed 90's in the shower unit. Wasn't simple, but a higher quality job than illustrated IMO.
Yeah I an inclined to do something similar
There shower column is 3" deep I hope there is enough room to install a 1/2" PEX 90 there
I could use one of these (1/2-in Dia. Brass PEX Barb x MPT Adapter Fitting)
811661_09231293_001_l.jpg

my shower has the 90s built in
1EqzO7Z.png

Last edited:

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
The plumber who did our install wasn't the brightest guy so he didn't think of where to place his stubouts so that he could easily hook them up later.. lesson learned was to see where the hoses want to lay naturally when hooking up to the plumbing stubs.

Mini Me

Reaction score
yeah kind of what I am doing see my other thread about trying to stub out using copper and sharkbites 1/2" to 3/8" MNPT
As suggested there I will have the stubs parallel and then the MNPTs looking horizontally outside

8z18lB4.png

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks