Low pressure after replumbing bathroom

Users who are viewing this thread

Diane Kesling

Reaction score
Interesting, and shocking. And it matches the symptoms.

A fish tape could be run from the new shutoff valve (either side) toward the meter far enough to be past the foundation, and check for that. How about a photo that includes
incoming pipe in the space
d. new shutoff valve
e. the old tee to the spigot that was around for a long time
f. new PRV.​

Teeing into the 2 inch pipe near the house, and installing a yard hydrant could be worth considering. It gives a great test point for pressure, plus gives you a yard hydrant.
Our next step is digging up the line from the house shut-off valve to where it connects to the 2 inch pipe

PlumbNuts

SC Licensed Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Website
riverviewplumbingrepair.com
We did shut off the water at the meter and replace the main shut off valve. We have 1500 feet of 2 inch pipe. Can you use air pressure on that much line? As you can tell we are trying everything we can cause locating a plug in that much line is gonna be horrendous. I don't know any video camera lines that are that long.
Yes, you can use air pressure on that much line it will just take longer to pressurize. For safety reasons do not let the pressure exceed 100psi. If 100 psi does not blow it out then you have a bigger issue.

viper1

Reaction score
Sounds like a valve is not all the way open. Who shut off the main valve at the meter? You or? That is the first thing to check. Then at the end of that 1500ft run, you need to test for proper flow right off that line. If you have a spigot right off that line, no regulator, etc, and you have poor flow, you can eliminate everything in that house!

Air pressure will tell you nothing. Pressure in a system is dependent on flowrate. When flow goes up, pressure drops. If your main valve is partially open, it will do exactly what you describe!

If your main valve is a ball valve, it should only be turned 90 degrees, NOT always until it stops.

Diane Kesling

Reaction score
I’d hope it’s at least 200 psi pipe and not the cheap stuff. Especially 1500’ of it. 2” pipe is pretty strong stuff. Is there a sleeve around water line that enters building?
I’d still have water company check meter and flow and valves.
It is 200 psi 2 inch pipe comes in 20 ft joints. We installed it 12 years ago. There is a sleeve over the 2 inch to 3/4 inch junction that then goes under the house

Tughillrzr

In the Trades
Reaction score
It is 200 psi 2 inch pipe comes in 20 ft joints. We installed it 12 years ago. There is a sleeve over the 2 inch to 3/4 inch junction that then goes under the house

20’ sections??? You sure on that?? you have a lot of joints and anyone of those could be problematic. Comes in 500’ rolls easy and I’m sure longer. You better call professional before you start blind digging holes.

how about some pictures of meter pit, house connections?? You Gotta be missing something . Hate to see you playing gopher all day!!

Last edited:

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
If the valve that was used to shut the water off is a gate valve, the stem probably rusted away and broke part way when opening the gate valve. A common problem with gate valves. If a ball valve, the handle or stem can dislodge or loosen from the ball and appear to be opened all the way.

globe-gate-ball.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

PlumbNuts

SC Licensed Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Website
riverviewplumbingrepair.com

If it is 200 PSI poly tubing then there is a good probability that it has collapsed somewhere.
I agree with TUGHILLRZR that 2o' lengths does not make good sense (unless you as the homeowner actually installed it yourself). There are way too many joints that can cause issues.
I do hope that you understood that using air is intended to blow out any possible obstruction and not to check for pressure, a decent plumber would know how to do that for you.
If I can help you any further feel free to message me, it is starting to get crowded in this kitchen.

Diane Kesling

Reaction score
20’ sections??? You sure on that?? you have a lot of joints and anyone of those could be problematic. Comes in 500’ rolls easy and I’m sure longer. You better call professional before you start blind digging holes.

how about some pictures of meter pit, house connections?? You Gotta be missing something . Hate to see you playing gopher all day!!
Oh yes I'm sure on that. Will send pictures when we get the line dug up under the house. May be a couple of days before we get that done. Know what you mean about playing gopher.

Plumbs

In the Trades
Reaction score
Have you tried removing the prv and seeing what kind of flow or pressure you get coming straight from the main shutoff valve? This would be my first step before digging and cutting sections of pipe.

Diane Kesling

Reaction score
If it is 200 PSI poly tubing then there is a good probability that it has collapsed somewhere.
I agree with TUGHILLRZR that 2o' lengths does not make good sense (unless you as the homeowner actually installed it yourself). There are way too many joints that can cause issues.
I do hope that you understood that using air is intended to blow out any possible obstruction and not to check for pressure, a decent plumber would know how to do that for you.
If I can help you any further feel free to message me, it is starting to get crowded in this kitchen.
Thank you for your help. It is 20 ft sections that we did install ourselves and yes thats a lot of joints. Each pipe has a bell and gasket and there's a bunch of them. What gets us is we turned off the house water to move pipes for a new shower and all was fine pressure was fine then we removed the toilet and installed new flooring and put the toilet back in so we turned the house shut off valve again and this time the pressure was low. Low pressure at the hose bib teed off from the main line before the regulator. Altho we couldnt see why we did replace the regulator thats under the house. When that didnt help we replaced the house shut off valve. Thw old one was a gate valve that was wide open as it should be but we replaced it with a ball valve..that didnt help. Next we dug up the line next to the water meter to check the check valve. Didnt replace it but it was working fine. Called the water comoany to check the meter somewhere in there and no trouble found. Also no evidence of leaks. I've never joined a forum before and perhaps my discussions are unclear but I do appreciate all the advise given.

viper1

Reaction score
Just because your water company says "it's fine" does not give me fuzzies. my guess is they just 'look' at the valve and tell ya its good. I think you are chasing your tail and the problem is that valve!! They can twist that shaft and cause this.

Listen, I work professionally at issues like this. It worked fine before. Now your hose bib before any reg or new plumbing does not work right. Common sense says "what all was touched?" That valve! Shoot a pic of that valve unit and post it! You will end up digging everything for something they may need to fix.

I won't buy that your pipe suddenly collapsed, or magic seahorses are now congregating in the pipe.

You never answered, who shut that water meter off? Smart people can tell by how the valve act if there might be an issue with it.

Diane Kesling

Reaction score
The valve at the water meter was shut off by my husband before he replaced the main water valve under the house. The low flow issue started before that valve was turned off though

Diane Kesling

Reaction score
The valve at the water meter was shut off by my husband before he replaced the main water valve under the house. The low flow issue started before that valve was turned off though
And the only thing that was touched really between when it worked properly and when it didn't was turning off the water main under the house. That gate valve has been replaced by a ball valve but the gate valve seemed fine. It doesn't make sense

Tughillrzr

In the Trades
Reaction score
Pictures!!
Is your house ball valve directional some have built in check valves.
At meter pit w check valve you say was working fine .. how do you mean? You had flow/ pressure ??
Water company actually came out and checked?
I’d assume you have a meter pit for easy access.
If it’s working fine there before your check valve and shut off. shut it off and go to house end. remove everything you did. ( bare pipe coming in no valves) With one person at each end turn water on slowly and if you have wAter at house it isn’t pipe. Then reconnect valves testing each one before the next.

Process of elimination.
so I say again
*******PICTURES ******of connections! House and meter pit.
I wouldn’t dig one shovel of dirt.

Diane Kesling

Reaction score
We have found the problem! In the 2 inch to 3/4 inch connector that is under the house there was a hickory nut wedged in the 3/4 inch side. Thanks to all who offered advise. I am going to go take a shower and wash all my bed clothes abd fill up the pool and.....

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks