Moen 1222 Cartridge , tub & shower valve

Users who are viewing this thread

Swax

Reaction score
I am a HVAC mechanic \ jack of all trades . I installed this valve at my daughters home, during a tear out and rebuild entire house project. I also installed a natural gas whole house on-demand hot water system. All lines are PEX 3/4 until short runs near fixtures, than 1/2 copper L. Daughter tells me a few days ago, she cannot get a hot bath, just warm water, and the shower works perfect, will scald you if you adjust valve to full hot water. I looked at it and was set at 100% . White plastic gears line up, straight-up. As your turning valve open ,and have hand under spout ! it gets very hot for a second and goes to mild warm. Daughter tells me it has been like this since day one, but just started to use the tub because of a knee problem. Showerhead can be removed as a hand head shower. She is using the hand held shower to fill the tub with hot water. The water coming from the spout is greater than the shower head. However the on-demand water heater, never has a problem with too much water only too little. To me it is odd, because its the same water only being diverted to the shower head, by pulling the stop up on the spout. I did not see, this problem listed.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If it's a Moen Posi-Temp valve, it starts off cold and gradually gets hot as you swing it counter clockwise.
If it starts hot, then the cartridge needs reversing.

moen_posi-temp.jpg

With hot plumbed to the left side, the H is on the left.
If the piping is reversed, lift the clip, pull the cartridge and insert it 180 degrees off.

Swax

Reaction score
If it's a Moen Posi-Temp valve, it starts off cold and gradually gets hot as you swing it counter clockwise.
If it starts hot, then the cartridge needs reversing.

moen_posi-temp.jpg

With hot plumbed to the left side, the H is on the left.
If the piping is reversed, lift the clip, pull the cartridge and insert it 180 degrees off.
No it starts off cold as it should and will stay cold, if you do not move handle towards hot position.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The shower puts out about 2 gallons a minute, the tub filler more like 6 gallons. Your on-demand may not be able to keep up with bigger volume.
What temperature is the on-demand set at? I would keep it 120 degrees or less.

Swax

Reaction score
No the on demand heater loves more water. I watched it and it shuts down on reaching setpoint of 125 F when coming out of spout. It cycles while coming out of spout and runs continuous while coming out of shower head. As I mentioned in my post. When slowly moving valve from off position towards hot. It is gradually getting hotter. When it reaches the point of nearly too hot to hold your hand under, it flips in a instant to warm. As you start back to cold the temperature stays only warm until it starts getting colder. Any time I pull the diverter knob, the water goes to the correct setpoint. I told my daughter, if its been the same since I installed it, live with it. I usually get unsolvable problems. The reason I don't think its related to the demand hot water system. Another shower in the house about sixty feet away would not get enough hot water. I called the manufacture of the heater. They told me to remove any water saver shower heads or faucets parts installed. Must use at least 1-gpm. I removed them and the everything worked fine. That is a problem you do not have with a hot water tank. They can use both showers and washing machine at the same time. It is rated for four bathrooms. I was surprised, it sounds like a jet idling when on. Three girls in the home is not a water saving feature. LOL.

Swax

Reaction score
I send Moen, the question. They replied, the 1222 cartridge needs replacement. I seen many different Brands on eBay reasonable. Is it best to stay with Moen ?

Swax

Reaction score
No, I was surprised. In my own home I had a Moen faucet start leaking thru the brass casting, but had the receipt. They never ask me for anything , but my mailing address. and sent me a new faucet quickly.

Swax

Reaction score
I have only used Moen cartridges for them. They didn't offer to send you one?
Terry , after I read your post, and my last experience with Moen , my contact this time was wrong. I wrote the question, as if I did not buy the product or own the house. I went back to Moen and contacted them thru email again. I copied what I posted on your site and used the address where the problem is. They asked if I had a receipt. I replied - no. Ask for a part #, and left it blank. Last time I put the cartridge #. Than it required a picture. My daughter emailed me one. After I put the pic in ! they have a faucet recognition program that gave the model # and the metal type. Today I got a email, they are shipping a complete tub-shower assembly to the home and a coupon for 65% off at the Moen website. Thank You, for restoring my memory. I completely forgot there are some good companies left. I did list the year I thought, it was installed as 2017. Thanks, again.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Swax, that's pretty good I've dealt with Delta and Kohler had Kohler blow me off because I bought the product before lifetime warranty went in effect . but haven't used Moen warranty

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks