Deck refinishing paint recommendations

Users who are viewing this thread

Rburt5

Reaction score
I have an old deck that’s pretty rough but I don’t want to replace it for a couple more years. So I’m looking for a refinishing paint that’ll fill in the rough spots. There are a lot of options out there. Does anybody have experience with paint that you can recommend or tell me to stay away from?

DFence

Reaction score
Depending on how rough a shape your wood deck is, if it's not too bad, you should consider staining instead of painting. If you go the staining route, it has a more natural look and is more affordable. I personally like Behr's waterproofing stain and sealer. If there are a few chips here and there, and you're set on paint, I like Sherwin William's exterior deck and dock coating. If the deck looks REALLY rough, maybe consider a new wood deck installation.

hammer-holding-child.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Rburt5

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion. I ended up renting a walk behind deck sander. All the old solid stain came right off and it smoothed out the roughest parts. Almost looked new! I went with a semi transparent stain since the decking cleaned up so well.

My stain job has some uneven looking places. Can I do a second coat of it to even things out?

Fitter30

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion. I ended up renting a walk behind deck sander. All the old solid stain came right off and it smoothed out the roughest parts. Almost looked new! I went with a semi transparent stain since the decking cleaned up so well.

My stain job has some uneven looking places. Can I do a second coat of it to even things out?
Never heard of deck sander does it work with sand paper or ?

TJanak

Reaction score

I know it's a late reply, but we did our entire (new) wood porches with two coats of Sherwin semi-solid stain. Looks very nice.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks