P trap bathroom sink

Users who are viewing this thread

Jefftra

Reaction score
I don’t know what I did wrong if anything, but just trying to get this bathroom p trap installed. This is a brand new bathroom. I stubbed out as close to the wall as I could and the p trap is just barely not lining up when I try to connect to the tail. I have to force it into place. Trying to avoid bending the pipe to fit. I do have access to all the pipe. Am I missing something?

4A3E677B-D43D-4B7E-83C8-A1379535A4E8.jpegC2A7E8CF-C7BD-4C1E-B6FF-BC2117E63ADD.jpeg782BF4D7-3F79-4B94-88F0-E34AC9034060.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The drain from the sink comes down very close to the wall. Sometimes that doesn't give you enough space to line up. If the drain were a little to the side you could use the swivel to pick it up. Sometimes I will use a 45 to miss it and then swivel back.

Jefftra

Reaction score
The drain from the sink comes down very close to the wall. Sometimes that doesn't give you enough space to line up. If the drain were a little to the side you could use the swivel to pick it up. Sometimes I will use a 45 to miss it and then swivel back.
Yes is only a 18.5 inch deep vanity, so that puts the drain about 6-7 inches from the wall. I didn’t realize this issue when I first ran the pipe. So I guess I need to go on the backside and replace the 90 with a 45 and extend to the left side? Is that what you mean? Thanks

PlumbNuts

SC Licensed Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Website
riverviewplumbingrepair.com
I do not think that is what he meant ( I can't speak for him and he may respond again later).
I think he meant to remove the trap adapter, add a 45 there (looking towards the right side of the cabinet and the add a new trap adapter.
With this configuration you should now be able to swivel your trap towards the adapter and be able to connect it.
At least that is what I would do..

Jefftra

Reaction score
I do not think that is what he meant ( I can't speak for him and he may respond again later).
I think he meant to remove the trap adapter, add a 45 there (looking towards the right side of the cabinet and the add a new trap adapter.
With this configuration you should now be able to swivel your trap towards the adapter and be able to connect it.
At least that is what I would do..
The issue there is the trap adapter is glued, so I would have to cut off in the backside

PlumbNuts

Reaction score
Website
If you have access to the back side (judging by your picture you do) then just cut out a section of the pipe and couple back together to relocate stub out; then it will be right and you can just patch the small hole that will be there.
Is that an option?

Jefftra

Reaction score
If you have access to the back side (judging by your picture you do) then just cut out a section of the pipe and couple back together to relocate stub out; then it will be right and you can just patch the small hole that will be there.
Is that an option?
Yes it’s an option, was just trying to figure out a way without having drywall repair, thanks

PlumbNuts

Reaction score
Website
Yes it’s an option, was just trying to figure out a way without having drywall repair, thanks
I understand that but at this point as much time as you have taken to produce a good looking job I think I would rather patch the hole then leaving the plumbing looking off-kiltered. Especially since you have easy access to it and you are going to be cutting pipes anyways.
From what I have gathered about you in this brief discussion I believe in the long run you are going to be glad that you decided to patch the hole.

PlumbNuts

Reaction score
Website
I don’t know what I did wrong if anything, but just trying to get this bathroom p trap installed. This is a brand new bathroom. I stubbed out as close to the wall as I could and the p trap is just barely not lining up when I try to connect to the tail. I have to force it into place. Trying to avoid bending the pipe to fit. I do have access to all the pipe. Am I missing something?View attachment 72566View attachment 72567View attachment 72568
In the middle picture if you were looking straight on at the sink tailpiece is the trap adapter completely to the left of the tailpiece?
Is it possible to swivel your trap towards the front left of the tailpiece and have the trap arm pass it? If so just add an extension if the trap armis not lomg enough.

Jefftra

Reaction score
In the middle picture if you were looking straight on at the sink tailpiece is the trap adapter completely to the left of the tailpiece?
Is it possible to swivel your trap towards the front left of the tailpiece and have the trap arm pass it? If so just add an extension if the trap armis not lomg enough.
If you were looking straight on, the drain is lined up evenly with the trap adapter. So if I swing it back towards there, it’s a little off. Not sure if that’s what you mean.

Tughillrzr

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes is only a 18.5 inch deep vanity, so that puts the drain about 6-7 inches from the wall. I didn’t realize this issue when I first ran the pipe. So I guess I need to go on the backside and replace the 90 with a 45 and extend to the left side? Is that what you mean? Thanks

I’m assuming he means the 90 trap elbow at wall. You’ll have to cut adapter off and glue a pvc 45 on with trap adapter. May need a coupler and a street 45. Then use a male adapter. Re attach trap. You may need a short extension. Dry fit first. The 45 gives enough swing for trap.

Jefftra

Reaction score
I found a solution. I cut the 90 degree long sweep on the other side of the wall and replaced it with a smaller 90 degree. This one has a male end and a female end. Then just glued the trap adapter to it. This gave me more than enough room to place the trap. The plastic nut is just enough to be able to tighten up. Thanks for all the support.

715F90F6-9FD3-45FC-ACFF-9E8E86806271.jpegEC8C371B-85D5-4E24-B483-96C97E408AD5.jpeg13960177-727D-40EC-984B-15B266786845.jpeg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
lav-traps-wrong-terrylove-1.jpg

The one on the right allows a swivel back to the drain.

Or since yours is right behind, I will add a 45 to point it away and then come back to it.

Jefftra

Reaction score
lav-traps-wrong-terrylove-1.jpg

The one on the right allows a swivel back to the drain.

Or since yours is right behind, I will add a 45 to point it away and then come back to it.

I ended up changing my setup and going with the 45. Worked great, thanks.

509D73A6-0838-40EE-A642-BFB606688783.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
That’s the P trap in my new bathroom.
What I was wondering about is make and model. It does not look like a common slip joint connection, but maybe the photo compression smooths the image a bit. Usually with a slip joint connection, you can slide the trap in and out of the trap adapter within limits. That gives two degrees of adjustment to meet up with the tailpiece: slide in and out, and pivot the U of the trap.

IPS_68313.jpg

Last edited:

Jefftra

Reaction score
What I was wondering about is make and model. It does not look like a common slip joint connection, but maybe the photo compression smooths the image a bit. Usually with a slip joint connection, you can slide the trap in and out of the trap adapter within limits. That gives two degrees of adjustment to meet up with the tailpiece: slide in and out, and pivot the U of the trap.

IPS_68313.jpg
It’s the Keeny p trap kit from Lowe’s. I used a 45 from wall , then the p trap adapter into the 45, and from there is the kit from Lowe’s.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks