Wet vent without the dry vented fixture

Users who are viewing this thread

ghaun

Reaction score
Dry vents need to be "vertical" from their takeoff to 6" above the flood rim level of the fixture served. Likewise when you connect dry vents, the connection needs to be 6" above the flood rim level of any of the fixtures being dry vented.

Cheers, Wayne

View attachment 72433

Wayne, thank you.

So, I thought that once the wet-vent portion of a horizontal wet-vented bath went vertical, it could not go horizontal again. Is that not the case?

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
That's a good question. Here's the language from the IPC:

https://up.codes/viewer/pennsylvania/ipc-2015/chapter/9/vents#912.1

My reading is that the yellow wet vent I drew meets those requirements, bearing in mind that the definition of "horizontal branch drain" includes the phrase "with or without vertical sections or branches"

https://up.codes/viewer/pennsylvania/ipc-2015/chapter/2/definitions#horizontal_branch_drain

If for some reason I'm mistaken or you're concerned I'm mistaken, you could pull another dry vent off the yellow vent at the point where the upstream horizontal segment turns down vertically, as per your earlier drawing.

Cheers, Wayne

ghaun

Reaction score
Wayne,

My concern is that when going to a horizontal, I introduce another turbulent flow which can block the vent from the waste. I think that is why it has to go vertical. I think that my original diagram would work, but I am not sure if the code would allow it. The vanity would have a dry vent and the wet vent for the tub would be washed as well.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
My understanding is that the increased size requirements for wet vents vs drains not used for venting takes care of all this. For example, in the IPC, a 1-1/2" wet vent can only carry 1 DFU, while a 1-1/2" regular horizontal branch can carry 3 DFU. Or a 2" wet vent can only carry 4 DFU, while a 2" regular horizontal branch can carry 6 DFU.

I don't see anything in the referenced code language that would prohibit the horizontal/vertical/horizontal wet vent geometry I posted; if there's an intention to prohibit it, the language fails completely to express that intention.

If you want to extend the vertical portion of the wet vent upwards as a separate dry vent, that is definitely allowed. Again, there's no language prohibiting it.

Cheers, Wayne

ghaun

Reaction score
Wayne,

Thank you. I think that I will likely go with something like this in the attached diagram. Thoughts?
Bath-Vanity.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks