Plumbing double farmers sink

Users who are viewing this thread

James23912

Reaction score
I bought a used 36" farmers sink w double bowl the drain in the wall is centered. Oddly, the 2 drains are not centered in the bowls, each one is closer to the center so they are only about 6" apart or 10" or so center to center. I had figured on running one drain into the other which would have the trap and then it would angle over to the centered drain in the wall. But with them being so close I don't know if it will work. I have seen pics of a double sink where the 2 meet in the middle but they meet in a real T no curve at all, like something you would put on a fence post or something, so I would think the water would run across this T and into the other side, but it would be an easier fix for me if it is acceptable. I also need to put in a dishwasher hose and an a a v so the straight shot would definitely be easier. So is this straight T acceptable? I assume they don't make a double wye in inch and a half and even if there is one it might not fit (too little room)or else be lower than the drain in the wall thou I could cut the sheetrock and lower it

Last edited:

Andre Martinez

UnlicensedUnprofessionalPractitionerOfAllTrades
Reaction score
Hey bud I'm new here but I found a thread here might help and here is the picture. As well. From what I know about drains for double sinks in the same drain is the they should be running together before the p trap and the tee should be able to be shortened to fit by the compression attached to the horizontal pipe.

aav-kitchen.jpg

https://terrylove.com/forums/index....ittance-valves-on-double-sink-ipc-2009.36913/

They have the dishwasher connecting after the p-trap in that picture. I should come in before the p-trap to prevent sewer gas in the dishwasher.
Terry Love

Last edited by a moderator:

PlumbNuts

SC Licensed Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Website
riverviewplumbingrepair.com
I bought a used 36" farmers sink w double bowl the drain in the wall is centered. Oddly, the 2 drains are not centered in the bowls, each one is closer to the center so they are only about 6" apart or 10" or so center to center. I had figured on running one drain into the other which would have the trap and then it would angle over to the centered drain in the wall. But with them being so close I don't know if it will work. I have seen pics of a double sink where the 2 meet in the middle but they meet in a real T no curve at all, like something you would put on a fence post or something, so I would think the water would run across this T and into the other side, but it would be an easier fix for me if it is acceptable. I also need to put in a dishwasher hose and an a a v so the straight shot would definitely be easier. So is this straight T acceptable? I assume they don't make a double wye in inch and a half and even if there is one it might not fit (too little room)or else be lower than the drain in the wall thou I could cut the sheetrock and lower it

Can you post pictures?

James23912

Reaction score
Hey bud I'm new here but I found a thread here might help and here is the picture. As well. From what I know about drains for double sinks in the same drain is the they should be running together before the p trap and the tee should be able to be shortened to fit by the compression attached to the horizontal pipe. View attachment 72151 https://terrylove.com/forums/index....ittance-valves-on-double-sink-ipc-2009.36913/

hi that is what I had figured to do , I had not looked closely at the sink until now, it is just that the holes are so close together , and then being only 3 or 4" offset from the drain in the wall makes the angle tough, if the holes were further apart it would not be a problem. So I was hoping I could meet the two in the middle but the pics I see online all show a straight tee, which seems like it is not correct. I did find a double bend type of thing that I think will work. I'm still in the process of building the cabinets and trying to get it all set up
this link seems to work, it is the first picture, thanks all.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/126311964527505307/

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
James, still can't help much sometimes it takes fittings to point pipe in correct direction. based on your info I can't picture what problem is? the 2 drains cant be too close you said 10 inches apart its a straight line between the 2 regardless they don't need to line up . maybe pictures?

Andre Martinez

UnlicensedUnprofessionalPractitionerOfAllTrades
Reaction score
hi that is what I had figured to do , I had not looked closely at the sink until now, it is just that the holes are so close together , and then being only 3 or 4" offset from the drain in the wall makes the angle tough, if the holes were further apart it would not be a problem. So I was hoping I could meet the two in the middle but the pics I see online all show a straight tee, which seems like it is not correct. I did find a double bend type of thing that I think will work. I'm still in the process of building the cabinets and trying to get it all set up
this link seems to work, it is the first picture, thanks all.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/126311964527505307/

Looks like you're having all the fun I just went through. My plumber was no help I had to fix some leaks and it got to the point at the end I just said to him I'd handle it. It has been a monumental learning experience and in a way I am glad I had the time to do it myself cause I learned a lot. I am pretty sure you are just being too over cautious and apprehensive but just draw yourself out a drain that follows what was stated by the moderator in my post about dishwasher and just get'r done. Don't doubt yourself you can handle it.

James23912

Reaction score
Hi thanks, I have been working on this house since sept 2019, did all the framing, roofing siding, chimney, inside wiring, insulation, got help hanging drywall, my first "plumber" was an unlicensed doofus who screwed it all up, set me back months and re doing his f ups. but getting close.
anyway, I have tried again for pictures but even at smallest size it says Too Big

I have found a fitting I think will work, 1 1/2" 1/4 bend, my main question was just about running both drains to the center rather than going from the right to the left, due to the narrow spacing of the drains and having enough height, so this this double bend should work, the pics I have seen on;line show that straight tee for a centered drain and it just did not look right

https://www.pvcfittingsonline.com/1...MIw5SMj4G67wIVB7zACh0-NgUMEAQYAiABEgKYtfD_BwE

I do appreciate people helping me here, thanks

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score

This Center Outlet Continuous Waste is the kit that will likely work best.. But if you measure Center to Center of your drains and you look up the dimensions of the kit will tell you if it will work.

That double ell that you posted is going to be PITA to set up and eventually maintain.. I bet too that its too large to fit in between the 2 sink bays.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
FWIW, they make something called a baffle tee. E.g.:

https://www.amazon.com/Keeney-PP930W-Continuous-Connect-16-inch/dp/B002MQJ272

Presumably it has some internal diverter that reduces drainage from one side crossing over to the other side. But I couldn't find a cross section or photo that shows exactly what it has. If it effectively cuts the cross sectional area in half at the top of the vertical section, I wonder if it would tend to clog there.

Cheers, Wayne

James23912

Reaction score
FWIW, they make something called a baffle tee. E.g.:

https://www.amazon.com/Keeney-PP930W-Continuous-Connect-16-inch/dp/B002MQJ272

Presumably it has some internal diverter that reduces drainage from one side crossing over to the other side. But I couldn't find a cross section or photo that shows exactly what it has. If it effectively cuts the cross sectional area in half at the top of the vertical section, I wonder if it would tend to clog there.

Cheers, Wayne
Hi, thanks, that may be exactly what I am after, my main question here was just whether or not a straight tee is ok, as everything else I have used has some sort of curve or slope to prevent water running into the other side. I thought straight tees were only for venting. I will look into this, thanks all, I think I will just proceed with the cabinets and see what I can find out, I like to plan ahead but sometimes it is better to actually see the deal for real.

once I get this house built I am going to have a huge yard sale to get rid of all the stuff I have bought and not used starting with the 25' of bell wire I got for doorbell before I realized they are all wireless nowadays.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
What you linked to in your original post, the center outlet continuous waste and what Wayne linked are the same thing. The straight looking tee in the continuous waste kit has a baffle in it that prevents waste from one bay of the sink from skipping over the tee and clogging the other side of the tee. Its small and compact because its built for tight situations like this.
baffle tee.png

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks