Is silicone lubricant needed on all o'rings for softener with Clack valve

Users who are viewing this thread

BobbytheBus

Reaction score
I'm putting the softener together and I noticed the instructions only mention to use silicone on the control valve distributor o'ring. It doesn't mention to use silicone on any of the other o'rings. I also have an alternating Valve and that one doesn't mention to use silicone either on the o'rings. Should I be using silicone on all o'rings or just the control valve distributor one?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
O rings are used in mostly two ways. One as a seal inside a pipe of fitting, the other is where the O ring is subject to torque such as a pipe union. If a surface is likely to slide over the o ring, with silicone grease it is less likely to tear out of the grove it sits in. A union connection is more likely to be disconnected for repairs, etc., thereby making it easier so the surfaces will slide over the O ring.

Pool guys use silicone grease all the time on the big O ring when insulting the cover over the pump strainer or placing the lid back on the filter after maintenance.

worthflorida-14.png

Last edited by a moderator:

BobbytheBus

Reaction score
O rings are used in mostly two ways. One as a seal inside a pipe of fitting, the other is where the O ring is subject to torque such as a pipe union. If a surface is likely to slide over the o ring, with silicone grease it is less likely to tear out of the grove it sits in. A union connection is more likely to be disconnected for repairs, etc., thereby making it easier so the surfaces will slide over the O ring.

Pool guys use silicone grease all the time on the big O ring when insulting the cover over the pump strainer or placing the lid back on the filter after maintenance.
Thank you for sharing your knowledge. That makes sense with keeping them from getting pushed out by making them slippery and also the other for the seal. I had silicone grease and was all set to apply on each o'ring. Just got confused when the directions only specified to do one of them.

Last edited by a moderator:

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
When I first started in the water industry in 88, I figures you simply lubed all rubber gasket/components... anyone who has been doing this way too long will remember the 3600 bypass gasket, it was a flat seal. If you lubed it, it would simply "squish out" constantly making it almost impossible to work. It had to be completely dry to seal... Silicone seals should not be lubricated, they are water lubricated... so many things to know :)

upload_2021-3-16_17-26-28.png

BobbytheBus

Reaction score
When I first started in the water industry in 88, I figures you simply lubed all rubber gasket/components... anyone who has been doing this way too long will remember the 3600 bypass gasket, it was a flat seal. If you lubed it, it would simply "squish out" constantly making it almost impossible to work. It had to be completely dry to seal... Silicone seals should not be lubricated, they are water lubricated... so many things to know :)

View attachment 72135
Definitely good to know. Are black o'rings never made with silicone? Or you just know the black o'rings that come with the Clack valve are not silicone?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks