Polybutylene crimpers

Users who are viewing this thread

frodo

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I am a commercial plumber, I have not plumbed a house since the 80"s
I was going through my barn and came across my old poly crimpers. Last time I used them was '83
Being as I do not fool with PEX. I only run copper So I have no clue. I started wondering if these crimpers will work on PEX. pipe is the same OD but is the crimp compatibly crimpable? LOL

Has anyone run into this, If so, would you mind giving me your findings

PlumbNuts

SC Licensed Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Website
riverviewplumbingrepair.com
Hey guys,
I am a commercial plumber, I have not plumbed a house sense the 80"s
I was going through my barn and came across my old poly crimpers. Last time I used them was '83
Being as i do not fool with PEX. I only run copper So I have no clue. I started wondering if these crimpers will work on PEX. pipe is the same OD but is the crimp compatibly crimpable? LOL

Has anyone run into this, If so, would you mind giving me your findings
No, the OD on a PEX crimp ring and the OD on a poly crimp ring are slightly different; when I have to use a PEX to poly adapter they come with the rings included and the PEX is copper and stamped "PEX" whereas the poly is a black coated copper ring. If you use the wrong one on either side it will leak.

sharkbite_pb_pex.jpg

The gray side is for polybutylene.

frodo

In the Trades
Reaction score
I wouldn't use them on any PEX.
Thanks for the answer,

No, the OD on a PEX crimp ring and the OD on a poly crimp ring are slightly different; when I have to use a PEX to poly adapter they come with the rings included and the PEX is copper and stamped "PEX" whereas the poly is a black coated copper ring. If you use the wrong one on either side it will leak.
CRAP. Ok. thanks guys.

frodo

In the Trades
Reaction score
I was awarded a trophy, Is it worth money? A coupon, Biggy fry?

An electric mixer perhaps? Will a stripper give me a private table dance?

I would rather have a pound of IMR 4895 powder.

Sarg

Enjoy Learning
Reaction score

Nope... Just the opposite. ( At least on Sharkbite )
From the website :
Transition from polybutylene to PEX pipe. Includes two color coordinated crimp rings – the black crimp ring is for PEX pipe, while the copper-colored crimp ring is for polybutylene pipe. Certified for use in potable water and hydronic heating systems.

PlumbNuts

Reaction score
Website
Nope... Just the opposite. ( At least on Sharkbite )
From the website :
Transition from polybutylene to PEX pipe. Includes two color coordinated crimp rings – the black crimp ring is for PEX pipe, while the copper-colored crimp ring is for polybutylene pipe. Certified for use in potable water and hydronic heating systems.
I don't use Sharkbite, the brand that I use are exactly as I described them.

Sarg

Enjoy Learning
Reaction score
Perhaps .... I only checked Sharkbite , American Mobile , Conbraco, Xfitting , Sioux Chief , Zurn , Apollo and Viegra.

PlumbNuts

Reaction score
Website
Perhaps .... I only checked Sharkbite , American Mobile , Conbraco, Xfitting , Sioux Chief , Zurn , Apollo and Viegra.
I will see if I can find the brand name that I use but the copper crimp ring has the letters PEX stamped on it. I get them through Ferguson.
But that may bring up another good point, regardless of what brand you are using "PAY ATTENTION".

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks