Drain Overflow...Tub to Shower Conversion

Users who are viewing this thread

Cobra1365

Reaction score
I know I have to go to a 2” drain to be in code. But, can I just cap off the existing overflow tube?

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you're removing a tub and installing a shower, the Waste and Overflow contraption that is attached to the tub all goes away. Your new shower drain is a completely different animal than the tub drain and will need to have a waterproof membrane or shower pan installed.

Cobra1365

Reaction score
If you're removing a tub and installing a shower, the Waste and Overflow contraption that is attached to the tub all goes away. Your new shower drain is a completely different animal than the tub drain and will need to have a waterproof membrane or shower pan installed.

That’s sort of what I was thinking. Just wasn’t sure.

I’m installing a prefab shower pan.

Thanks!

Cobra1365

Reaction score
Next question.

The existing tub had a 1 1/2 drain line all the way to the main drain line of the house (4”).

The video below shows how it was plumbed.

Since the new shower requires a 2” drain, how do/Can I transition to the 1 1/2 inch line?

My thought was to cut the existing 1 1/2” line as close to the 4” line as I can and install a reducing coupler for the last few inches before it goes into the 4” line. But, will that cause too much of a restriction to the flow?

Am I over thinking this or do I need to totally rework where it joins the main line?

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you have access to the main drain, then the answer is simple, cut in a new 2" drain and install 2" all the way to the shower. There is zero downside to having a fully sized drain.

Cobra1365

Reaction score
If you have access to the main drain, then the answer is simple, cut in a new 2" drain and install 2" all the way to the shower. There is zero downside to having a fully sized drain.

That’s the problem. While I can access it, the way they have it plumbed, there are no sections to cut and splice because of all the connections they have in there (see end of vid). It looks to me like I’d have to replace almost all of those connections.

Cobra1365

Reaction score
Just looked over the Code again. I’m good with 1 1/2” drain. I just need to step down from 2” to 1 1/2” prior to P-trap.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Must be IPC then? Yes, Install the reducer in the shower drain or on the tail piece dropping to the trap.

Kevin P Hanson

Reaction score
This from 2021 UPC:

Footnote #9 of table 702.1 says

"For a bathtub to shower retrofit, a 1 1/2" (40 mm) trap and trap arm shall be permitted with a maximum shower size of 36 inches (914 mm) in width and 60 inches (1524 mm) in length."

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
weird that the square footage of the shower would be the determining factor rather than the GPM output. Probably some code leftover from the stone ages

Reach4

Reaction score
This from 2021 UPC:

Footnote #9 of table 702.1 says

"For a bathtub to shower retrofit, a 1 1/2" (40 mm) trap and trap arm shall be permitted with a maximum shower size of 36 inches (914 mm) in width and 60 inches (1524 mm) in length."

https://codes.iapmo.org/docs/2024/UPC/2021 UPC TC Meeting Monograph.pdfage 240 of 547 talks about that as a proposed modification for the 2024 UPC.

Maybe they are thinking that a party-sized shower would use more water.

woman-feet-shower-drain.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks