Ok to splice CI closet bend?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
that looks good I was thinking the old cast iron would need a a little grooming as they weren't as precise as newer no hub fittings are. I'd be a little nervous testing the old as well

Dusty Fellow

Reaction score
that looks good I was thinking the old castiron would need a a little grooming as they werent as precise as newer no hub fittings are. Id be a little nervous testing the old as well

It definitely got a little love from the grinder to knock off the “patina” and some lettering. The new piece actually needed more lettering removed because of where I had to cut it. But the band fit ok even with the slight difference in size. Of course we’ll see when it gets tested...

As for what’s left of the old there are some questionable joints you can see in the photo, where the vertical stack elbows to horizontal and picks up the branch from the kitchen/laundry. Worst case I end up having to replace it all...would only be a few more feet of 4” fittings and pipe. I’m hoping I can just clean the joints well and use plastic seal if I get any leaking when I test.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
The beauty of lead is that it
Sorry, don’t understand?
Joke..

Yeah.. I don't test old stuff unless theres a reason to suspect a leak.. Tho we were doing this exact same job the other day but were removing the caulking ferrule when my plumber noticed that the hub itself was cracked and we had to remove a section of the vertical stack.

Dusty Fellow

Reaction score
The beauty of lead is that it

Joke..

Yeah.. I don't test old stuff unless theres a reason to suspect a leak.. Tho we were doing this exact same job the other day but were removing the caulking ferrule when my plumber noticed that the hub itself was cracked and we had to remove a section of the vertical stack.

I said, "Now what did I do wrong??" That's what the emojis are for...!

I don't think I can get away without testing the old/whole house, but who knows what the inspector will want. I'll be testing the whole house with a long ball in the cleanout just outside the house. If I fail due to old stuff then I'll consider installing cleanouts to isolate the new work before inspection. Kitchen and laundry stacks could be problematic because I can't see the joints.

But in the end it's my house and if there's a problem with old stacks I'd like to know, regardless of what the inspector wants.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
hard to say what inspector would want the new work should be tested through roof . you only put a single band on . if it was on an upper floor and drywalled in a ceiling I could understand inspector saying he wants on test being down where it is I would advise a owner builder to get at least a good running test , and leave them alone .

Dusty Fellow

Reaction score
hard to say what inspector would want the new work should be tested through roof . you only put a single band on . if it was on an upper floor and drywalled in a ceiling I could understand inspector saying he wants on test being down where it is I would advise a owner builder to get at least a good running test , and leave them alone .

Single band? That’s just for the closet bend in one bath because I wanted to spare working on the vertical stack. I’ve replaced a good 50% of the 4” main running under these two adjacent baths, with mostly all new drain lines and probably 60% new venting. It wasn’t just for fun - footprints of baths are changing slightly to meet code and at a certain point trying to shift things just a bit is much harder than cutting it all out and putting everything exactly where you want it.

Just kept some galv where it penetrates top plates or the roof, and a section of one lav’s horizontal vent because it wasn’t moving. So it should definitely be tested to the roof. It’ll be fun.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Single band? That’s just for the closet bend in one bath because I wanted to spare working on the vertical stack. I’ve replaced a good 50% of the 4” main running under these two adjacent baths, with mostly all new drain lines and probably 60% new venting. It wasn’t just for fun - footprints of baths are changing slightly to meet code and at a certain point trying to shift things just a bit is much harder than cutting it all out and putting everything exactly where you want it.

Just kept some galv where it penetrates top plates or the roof, and a section of one lav’s horizontal vent because it wasn’t moving. So it should definitely be tested to the roof. It’ll be fun.

I was refering to what I saw on the stack for w/c. just a single band and for that I see no reason to test.
If every thing is new above on the 4 inch and below then yea it needs tested and would have been wise replacing it. Im sure you know that . my point is that certain things dont always need test on remodel work its common that the entire system is not tested but portions are. However inspector can look at it and say with this much work done he wants a total test , nothing suprises me

Dusty Fellow

Reaction score
I was refering to what I saw on the stack for w/c. just a single band and for that I see no reason to test.
If every thing is new above on the 4 inch and below then yea it needs tested and would have been wise replacing it. Im sure you know that . my point is that certain things dont always need test on remodel work its common that the entire system is not tested but portions are. However inspector can look at it and say with this much work done he wants a total test , nothing suprises me

Gotcha, thanks. How common are leaks on old cast and galv if pressure tested? I'm just wondering whether it's very unlikely the old would pass a pressure test, or 50/50, etc.?

We have an inspection issue in the city currently (not my listed location). The inspections have been farmed out and everything is a total pass or total fail - so if you don't pass, the next time you'll get a completely different inspector with likely different expectations and will have to start from scratch. Trades are pretty peeved, and it's causing reputable tradespeople to either avoid jobs in this particular city or raise bids pretty significantly. HOs are peeved because of massive cost and time overruns. So I'm going to assume the worst as far as inspections go and be ready for anything.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Nobody I know tests existing work that old so couldn't say how often it leaks from joints. I rarely if ever see leaks at lead joints tho. Only if its been remodeled and messed with by movement.. and then you can caulk/tamp the lead to fix the leak. I've done it a few times when a stack seemd wobbly. But.. test it well ahead of an inspection.. take care of any leaks and when they show up you should be good.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Gotcha, thanks. How common are leaks on old cast and galv if pressure tested? I'm just wondering whether it's very unlikely the old would pass a pressure test, or 50/50, etc.?

We have an inspection issue in the city currently (not my listed location). The inspections have been farmed out and everything is a total pass or total fail - so if you don't pass, the next time you'll get a completely different inspector with likely different expectations and will have to start from scratch. Trades are pretty peeved, and it's causing reputable tradespeople to either avoid jobs in this particular city or raise bids pretty significantly. HOs are peeved because of massive cost and time overruns. So I'm going to assume the worst as far as inspections go and be ready for anything.

Plus independent contractor inspectors get paid every time they come out . so they might have an interest in failing. I don't want to be negative everywhere I've worked only a few bad experiences but you gotta work with them. reasons you stated above add to why people don't pull permits on work
I haven't tested much old stuff so can't guess on how it will test.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks