Need advice / help on choosing a new softener unit

Users who are viewing this thread

Bonds25

Reaction score
Hi everyone, this is my first post. I've been reading through a lot of the threads and figured I might as well just post and see what happens. I want/need a new unit because my current one is 20 years old and goes through salt like crazy even though I have it set for regen 2 days a week.

I have the original unit that was installed in the house when it was built, a 20-year-old Park International. I cannot make out the model number or anything else on the tank. I'm the second owner of the house.

It's just me and my wife and we have very hard water. I asked the city and what our hardness was and was told 31 grains.

I've used some of the calculations I've read in the forums. If I'm doing it right it's 4650 grains per day so 32550 a week. That would put me at a 48,000 unit I believe?

There's a local company that wants $1500 for a Clack WS1 Millennium 100 32K installed. Here's where I'm hoping all that know these things better will help. Is there a model you'd recommend based on the little info I have for you. Is $1500 a rip-off for that system and is it sufficient enough for my water hardness? I'd have no problem buying a unit and installing it myself with my father-in-laws help or asking my friend if he'd talk to his neighbor who is a plumber. I get this might turn into a "Ford vs Chevy" conversation but I'll take all the suggestions and help I can get.

Thanks and stay safe!

Reach4

Reaction score
If you get a Fleck unit, there will not be a problem having the unit or parts shipped to you for your install. A Fleck 5600SXT or 5800SXT would be good for 3/4 inch plumbing, and 5810SXT would normally good for 1 inch plumbing. The XTR2 controller has some extra features, that could be of use.

There is more than just the valve involved. Excessive skimping on the other stuff is not good

If using city water, you want 10% crosslinked resin. It is seldom wise to get a "32000" softener. That is only marketing code for 1 cuft of resin. You want at least a "48000 grain" softener which will give a real 32000 to 36000 grains with more reasonable salt usage.

Bannerman

Reaction score
You should really measure hardness at your location.

The city will typically tell you only an average hardness amount. As municipal water is often obtained from multiple sources, the hardness can vary depending on how close your home is located to each source, peak water use, season, distribution system maintenance etc. A Hach 5B Total Hardness test kit is recommended but since a hardness test is only a snapshot, it is then advisable to add 2-3 additional grains hardness to the test result to anticipate occasions when hardness maybe higher than your initial test result.

Bonds25

Reaction score
If you get a Fleck unit, there will not be a problem having the unit or parts shipped to you for your install. A Fleck 5600SXT or 5800SXT would be good for 3/4 inch plumbing, and 5810SXT would normally good for 1 inch plumbing. The XTR2 controller has some extra features, that could be of use.

There is more than just the valve involved. Excessive skimping on the other stuff is not good

If using city water, you want 10% crosslinked resin. It is seldom wise to get a "32000" softener. That is only marketing code for 1 cuft of resin. You want at least a "48000 grain" softener which will give a real 32000 to 36000 grains with more reasonable salt usage.

That's kind of what I thought I needed, a 48k unit with 10%, not 8%. I'm willing to pay more to get more efficiency!

Bannerman

Reaction score
10% cross-link resin will better tolerate chlorine compared to 8%. Because your water source is municipal, it will be chlorinated.

Salt efficiency is a matter of programming. Regardless of Clack or Fleck, we can advise on appropriate and efficient programming.

Both Clack and Fleck restrict the valves available to online dealers. Fleck 5600 is a several decade old design that has been sold online for many years so Fleck continue to allow it but their newer and more capable valve models such as the 58xx series are not offered to online dealers.

Buying a system online usually not advised. While a few dealers will offer quality units, most online dealers compete on price so although they may offer a high quality 5600SXT valve, the quality of other components including resin media will usually suffer so that dealer can be $1 cheaper than the next online dealer.

While there were some issues with early Fleck electronic controllers, those issues have been resolved many years ago.

The link you provided shows systems equipped with Clack valves. As Clack were first to discontinue online dealers, I suspect your vendor is able to offer Clack only because they install and service the equipment they sell.

Bonds25

Reaction score
10% cross-link resin will better tolerate chlorine compared to 8%. Because your water source is municipal, it will be chlorinated.

Salt efficiency is a matter of programming. Regardless of Clack or Fleck, we can advise on appropriate and efficient programming.

Both Clack and Fleck restrict the valves available to online dealers. Fleck 5600 is a several decade old design that has been sold online for many years so Fleck continue to allow it but their newer and more capable valve models such as the 58xx series are not offered to online dealers.

Buying a system online usually not advised. While a few dealers will offer quality units, most online dealers compete on price so although they may offer a high quality 5600SXT valve, the quality of other components including resin media will usually suffer so that dealer can be $1 cheaper than the next online dealer.

While there were some issues with early Fleck electronic controllers, those issues have been resolved many years ago.

The link you provided shows systems equipped with Clack valves. As Clack were first to discontinue online dealers, I suspect your vendor is able to offer Clack only because they install and service the equipment they sell.
Yes, if I went with the company I listed, they would come out and install it. I'm a DIY'er so looking online and seeing I can save hundreds on some units doing it myself makes sense. But the way you put it also makes sense and I believe I read in a forum on here, buy online, get the good valve but the rest of the stuff could be lower end.

Reach4

Reaction score
Both Clack and Fleck restrict the valves available to online dealers.
I think Fleck restricts advertising for online dealers for the newer valves, but AFAIK does not restrict shipment of valves or parts to customers. I think Clack parts shipped to distant end users are grey market (not illegal, but against contracts).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks