SHOE GASKET NOT SEALING

Users who are viewing this thread

Patman2k

Reaction score
Hey everyone. My tub shoe isn’t directly lined up with the tub (I’ll post a picture). It being off that little bit is causing the shoe gasket to be tighter on the left side than the right and I believe (can’t get directly under the tub) that is what’s causing my leak. I would think since it’s all pretty snug once tightened it wouldn’t leak but evidently It did. Any suggestions? I’ve heard silicone and I’ve heard don’t do it.. putty??Thank you in advance!

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 199
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 178

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
That's a tough one. It needs to be centered somehow, and the washer being tighter to the left and loose on the right, I would see about trying it with a new washer. That one has an odd thread that I see in the picture.

Patman2k

Reaction score
That's a tough one. It needs to be centered somehow, and the washer being tighter to the left and loose on the right, I would see about trying it with a new washer. That one has an odd thread that I see in the picture.

Yeah it’s tough.. it does tighten as the hole just lines up with the left side (and once tightened the more centered it becomes)

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
if you used a screwdriver to move the tub shoe / plastic, will it center in the hole without a Lot of force? If so, I would get one of those tub shoe tools / dumbells and with a bit of silicone ONLY on the gasket both sides after cleaning and drying the underside of the tub and the top of the shoe drain. With the metal flange properly loaded with putty and a once the flange starts to make contact.. use the dumbell as a way to keep it centered on the tub drain until tightened. You may need to hold the tool / drain assembly with pliers to keep it centered til its tight.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks