Leaking tub drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Michelle B

Reaction score
Just had a new tub installed and tile surround by a “contractor”. The tub drain is leaking (cut back ceiling and examined after water on ceiling...water is coming from the drain). Unscrewed drain with tool...no Teflon tape or plumbers putty. Minimal amount of white caulking. The gasket seal sticks out more on one side but I’m not sure if this is a problem. May attempt to seat drain again with Teflon and plumbers putty? Please help. I am not calling this guy back because after numerous issues (wanted to skip mortar bed for tub...I insisted per directions, wanted to use mastic on my surround walls for tile...I had to insist on thin set...mastic is unapproved for use over red guard, you get the idea). I had paid him half up front (mistake I now know) so I felt kind of stuck. Anyway these things made me look for his license he claimed he had...he doesn’t. This was my first remodel project and I learned from this to check the license and insurance first. So no flogging please...lol...thank you

Attachments

• BAFAA2CC-AAC7-4873-91F9-DCEB885C734A.jpeg
    BAFAA2CC-AAC7-4873-91F9-DCEB885C734A.jpeg
    46 KB · Views: 142

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Did your contractor forget a bead of plumber's putty under the strainer?
Also make sure you have a good gasket under the tub hole and the shoe.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Call a lawyer or consumer affairs or the plumbing licensing division of the building department

Once you touch it your totally responsible

Usually, in a case like this, a decent lawyer will put the contractor on notice, and once proper repairs are made the lawyer will sue for back charges of the licensed plumber

In NYC for example and other civilized locations, it is a misdemeanor to say you are in possession of a professional license and if you don't have one you face hefty fines, truck confiscated, and in some localities jail time

The licensing divisions of most HJA take licensing very seriously

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
The view isn't alarming it basically self centers , but caulking doesn't belong nor pipe dope. I'd remove gasket clean or discard get all the caulk off tub and putty it up . Test it real good before patching lid.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score

§ 54.1-1115. Prohibited acts - Virginia Law
https://law.lis.virginia.gov › title54.1 › section54.1-1115

Creating a Report: Check the sections you'd like to appear in the report, then use ... A. The following acts are prohibited and shall constitute the commission of a Class 1 ... Giving false or forged evidence of any kind to the Board or any member ... without (i) any valid Virginia contractor's license or certificate when a license or ...
Missing: face ‎| Must include: face
People also search for
how to sue a contractor in virginia18 vac 50-22-260virginia 54.1 1100
virginia handyman licensevirginia drywall contractor examvirginia consumer protection act

Michelle B

Reaction score
The view isn't alarming it basically self centers , but caulking doesn't belong nor pipe dope. I'd remove gasket clean or discard get all the caulk off tub and putty it up . Test it real good before patching lid.
Thank you. I did just what you said...no leaking so far. Will give it a few weeks before having ceiling repaired just to be sure.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thank you. I did just what you said...no leaking so far. Will give it a few weeks before having ceiling repaired just to be sure.
Hope rest of job is ok . test real good fill tub up high and let it hold awhile half hour or so and then drain .

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks