Difference between to different "clack valves"

Users who are viewing this thread

Clydesdale6

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I just had a neurtralizer and a softener installed. The softener has what appears to be a c-series valve and the neutralizer has an Nelsen water systems valve with a blue button for regen. I believe both are clack valves. Does anybody know the difference and why one is chosen for softener and the other for neutralizer? Thanks.

Bannerman

Reaction score
It seems Nelson refer to the Clack WS-1 as 'C' series. This likely is to differentiate their systems equipped with a 'Clack' control valve from those they offer with 'Fleck' or 'Erie' control valves.

Most filter applications will utilize a 3-cycle time clock filter valve whereas a water softener will utilize a 5 or 6-cycle meter activated control valve. Even with the differences, most Clack valves and controllers appear very similar.

Suggest posting photos of each to compare.

Clydesdale6

Reaction score
clacksoftener.jpg
The white tank is the softener and the black tank is the neutralizer. The two valves are different, but very similar. Does anybody know what is different about these? Thanks.

Clydesdale6

Reaction score
I think one is metered and works by gallons and the other just by time.

Bannerman

Reaction score
Whether for a metered softener or for a backwashing filter that backwashes on a time schedule, no reason why two different model valves would be supplied as each model is offered for either purpose. They likely supplied you with whatever they had in-stock and ready to ship.

Because a neutralizer uses media that is consumed, the tank will be typically equipped with a removable fill plug on the dome to permit media to be easily added without needing to remove the control valve. Perhaps there is a removable plug on the backside which is not apparent in your photo?

Clydesdale6

Reaction score
Nope, no fill plug. Looks like I have to remove the valve to re-fill it with calcite.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Who ever did that is a total goof. Why not use the same valve? Why use a black tank for the neutralizer and an almond for the softener. Typical is using a natural for the neutralizer so you can see the level of calcite in the tank with a flashlight. Any color for the softener is fine. No fill plug for the neutralizer? Not sure who you used but they are in need of some training.

Reaction score
Website
ky8d.net
I am given to understand Nelson Water Treatment System's proprietary variant of the Clack 5-button valve provides a good many more options in its programming. I have only yesterday obtained a manual for the Clack NTWS 5-button variant and intend to compare it against a similar manual for the Clack WS1EE. Not done that yet though.

Here is a link to said NWTS Dealer Manual as a PDF for you all to peruse ... and hopefully provide professional insight on.

NTWS is wholesale-only, and does not sell direct. Thus I have not seen the Clack NTWS listed anywhere on-line. Nelson looks to be quite a large company, in business for a long time. A quote which I got just only yesterday from a dealer shows the Clack NTWS 5-button valve to be notably more expensive than prices I've got in quotes from other dealers listing comparable non-NTWS Clack WS1 series valves.

Know that, while an engineer myself, water treatment is considerably outside my own field. Thus I am still debating variables before making my own purchase decision.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks