Recirculating Pump

Users who are viewing this thread

Par

Reaction score
This is located at a 58 room hotel property. We've had a couple plumbers out that have told us to leave the ball valve alone and it'll be fine. Obviously, we aren't going to wait until the ball valve under the recirculating pump fails so we will be replacing it as well as the pump. I have a few questions.

1. What is the loop on the left side for that is capped with PVC? Spare pump or were there two pumps running together previously if that's even possible? To purge air? If it's unnecessary I might as well remove it all.

2. The pump is a Grundfos UP15-42F which is made of cast iron. Should that be replaced with a similar spec bronze or stainless steel because it is used to circulate water for showers and bathroom fixtures? If so, any recommendations?

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_3545 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_3545 - Copy.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_3546 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_3546 - Copy.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 165

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
The ball valve is fine.
1- the loop on the left is where a secondary pump sat. It was installed as a spare most likely. When it died, the valves were shut off and the other pump became the primary pump. Most likely someone cheaped out and decided to save money by not replacing the left pump. I would install a secondary pump back in its place. You may spend more up front, but you will have next to zero downtime with that system.
2- Yes, replace the pump with a bronze or stainless body.
The ball valve is fine. But if you're revamping the system, and you can handle the downtime, then yes, replace it with a new ball valve.

Par

Reaction score
Thank you for your help. I'll go ahead and order two pumps once I find out which one to go with. I have a few more questions

Grundfos UP15-18B7 is an exact match but brass and has to be soldered instead of using a flange. Taco 008-SF6 looks like a similar pump but stainless steel with flange.

1. Bronze vs Stainless Steel?
2. Taco vs Grundfos
3. Any benefits going to a pump that pushes more GPM but lower head range?

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
More GPM is more velocity. On an older copper system that means that its scouring the pipe leading eventually to pinhole leaks.

I don't really have an opinion on Grundfos VS Taco. I've installed both, but installed a lot more Grundfos.

I typically only install hot recirc in homes. But I don't think I can see a downside to having your system on a timer or aquastat so that it only runs periodically.

Lets see if this link works. Should bring up a selection of pumps with flanges which will make maintenance on them easier. Realistically the pump body can stay installed and only the motor gets changed when or if they go Kaput.

https://product-selection.grundfos.com/us/products/up-ups-series-100-north-america?tab=products

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks