Rough in plumbing basement

Users who are viewing this thread

Jefftra

Reaction score
Hello, I am hoping I can get some help with my basement rough in. When we bought the house we paid to have just a half bath rough in done. I am attaching some pictures to help. I know my toilet flange is the 4 inch. I popped off the caps on the 2 inch pipes. The middle pipe had no water in it so I poured some in and it drains right out. The pipe on the right had water in it, so it must have a p trap in it. So that doesn’t make sense as we are only supposed to have a half bath. The measurement from the 4 inch pipe to the pipe on the right measures 30 inch. There is no way the vanity can be for the middle pipe as it’s way to close to the toilet. Even more confusing is the 2 inch pipes do not line up, so I couldn’t even put them in the same wall. I feel the builder made a mistake. Any suggestions are much appreciated.

CECD9BF9-1FC6-4A35-B63E-543E38CE9F96.jpeg

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
nothing wrong with roughing in a full bath and not using the tub. however a toilet can't just go anywhere with no regard to walls or where the lav might go. Some discussion with builder should have taken place but I guess its just a half bath wherever? Your assessment sounds reasonable that the tub was far right and lav in middle. I'm not very trusting so I'd run hose down and a little more observation.
The W/c (4 inch) looks to be farther than a 12 inch rough would be . If you take a 2x4 block and lay in long ways to the side of the lav as if a wall were there do you have between 12 1/2 to 13 1/2 inches ? if yes then your good j you can just gotta cap the one pipe below slab. If not within those numbers fir wall to 12 1/2. if you don't like lay out get jackhammer or go to builder with complaint

Jefftra

Reaction score
I will post a picture from another angle with measurements. The middle pipe is fine as far as the wall from back of toilet, but side to side no way to place vanity there. And with a trap apparently in the far right pipe, I can’t place vanity there.

Attachments

• E552D48C-6C39-4FC1-B2E1-6E2F43639726.jpeg
    E552D48C-6C39-4FC1-B2E1-6E2F43639726.jpeg
    59.3 KB · Views: 169
  • 9A37ED91-527E-408A-BDF5-4D67DD0C9AA9.jpeg
    9A37ED91-527E-408A-BDF5-4D67DD0C9AA9.jpeg
    64 KB · Views: 166
  • B88704CF-17BC-4926-A77F-E27724CC3FB7.jpeg
    B88704CF-17BC-4926-A77F-E27724CC3FB7.jpeg
    62.1 KB · Views: 169

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
you just turn tee to side and drill studs for lav its fine. You could use a 2 x6 wall that will give you a perfect 12 1/2 inch rough

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
perfect rough with a 2 x6 wall 12.5 inches the tub drain close to 30 inches from tub (i know just a half bath) and the lav you turn tee to side and drill studs wherever you want center. Id say good to go!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The middle pipe can arm over for the lav.
A 1.5" trap arm can go 42" to the trap. That's a pretty common way of doing it.
From left to right
Lav, WC, Tub

Water Closet is also called a toilet.

Jefftra

Reaction score
To make sure I understand. I would come off the middle pipe with a tee out the right instead of straight out, extending 42 inches to make room for the vanity, then 45 degree to the vanity? The pipe to the right would be eliminated by cutting and capping off? I assume that can’t be used as the vanity since there is a trap there?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't know where you want the lav ? point right, point left wherever you like. and no it doesn't need to be 42 inches that's the maximum if you have UPC plumbing code . the pipe on right gets capped if a vanity will be covering it you might just need to cap it off lower to floor otherwise it needs capping below floor. pretty simple. Are you doing this yourself ?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
The middle pipe can arm over for the lav.
A 1.5" trap arm can go 42" to the trap. That's a pretty common way of doing it.
From left to right
Lav, WC, Tub

Water Closet is also called a toilet.
just a half bath he is unhappy they roughed a full bath. hopefully clear now

Jefftra

Reaction score
Ok this is starting to make sense. Here is a rough drawing of what I believe I need to do. Would I come out the other end of the tee to run my vent? Yes I am attempting this myself.

Attachments

• 616A75BA-7B4E-43F2-83CF-B5CC03AD22E6.jpeg
    616A75BA-7B4E-43F2-83CF-B5CC03AD22E6.jpeg
    44.6 KB · Views: 167

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
the tee would be a santee it will be 2 x2 x1.5 the smaller being branch to side for lav. for w/c you need a clearance of minimum 15 inches to the side for a wall or sink cabinet thats a strict minimum .

Jefftra

Reaction score
Ok thank you. Is there a maximum I can extend off that santee to the right? I seen the trap arm can be a maximum of 42 inches. Then place a 45 to the trap arm? I am going to assume the vent is going to be extended from the 2 inch pipe and go to the same venting as my other bathroom. I really appreciate your help.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
correct about the vent . the trap arm from edge of the vent measure along the pipe and 45 all the way to the wier of the trap under 42 inches is fine verify plumbing code if you have upc code this would be your standard if IPC code it can be longer

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Don't know how much room for a vanity or what size your planning. looks tight unless I'm seeing a shadow and not a wall on right side from finish wall to center of toilet 45 inch min for 30 inch cab. , and 39 for a 24 inch cabinet

Jefftra

Reaction score
Was thinking a 30 inch vanity, that is a piece of carpet on the right side. No walls are close to the pipes. Of course they put it right under duct work so that will not be a good ceiling height.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
never would have guessed carpet . looked like a wall or painted floor didn't make sense good that you got plenty of room. Why not full bath? adds appeal for resale . not huge cost depending on how its done

Jefftra

Reaction score
Wouldn’t I have to break up the concrete and move the pipe to the right? It seems like the bath would not fit. The way I have it planned now, the vanity will be sitting over that pipe since I have to tee to the right.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
starting on Left Lav W/c Tub no reason to put lav on right except that is where you said you wanted it . and that you wanted a half bath

Jefftra

Reaction score
Ok I finally get it now, I understand I can extend to the left to get on the other side of the w/c now. One final question. Is there somewhere I can look to get basic codes that I will need? I am sure I will still need to reference my pipe length maximum, slopes, spacing, etc. Thank you very much!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks