Garden Irrigation Plan

Users who are viewing this thread

Hubby

Joe Marshall
Reaction score
I would appreciate thoughts about my question:

I am planning on constructing a irrigation system using water coming from a stream along our garden area. The water will be pumped to 1,000 gallons of storage up about eight feet in height. We will be using drip irrigation. The mainline supply run going along the edge of the garden is 528 feet. There is about a 10% slope going down and away from the storage tank.

I have some 3" and 2" PVC 10' joints of pipe that I was thinking about running underground initially starting at the tank. I thought I might as well use them up instead of having them lay around. I was then going to use 1" black plastic for the rest of the run.

Would it be in any way counter productive (pressure wise) to do this?

Thank you for your thoughts.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
You can use whatever pipe you want. Just got to make it drip tight. Drip system will need at least 20 PSI. The storage tank will need to be at least 46' tall to deliver 20 PSI. Most likely you will need a pump system to supply the drip. But with drip, the flow is low and you need to keep the pump from cycling to death. You might be able to make a wet well at the creek and not have to pump from there up to the storage tank. But either way a jet pump and a PK1A will be your best bet to supply the drip as needed.

LOW YIELD WELL_ CENTRIFUGAL_PK1A.jpg

Banjo Bud

Reaction score
I get water from a stream. I know this wasn’t part of your question but instead of pumping into an above ground tank, I buried a new septic tank and I divert water into it via underground pvc pipes. Then I pump out if that tank to irrigate.

Hubby

Joe Marshall
Reaction score
You can use whatever pipe you want. Just got to make it drip tight. Drip system will need at least 20 PSI. The storage tank will need to be at least 46' tall to deliver 20 PSI. Most likely you will need a pump system to supply the drip. But with drip, the flow is low and you need to keep the pump from cycling to death. You might be able to make a wet well at the creek and not have to pump from there up to the storage tank. But either way a jet pump and a PK1A will be your best bet to supply the drip as needed.

View attachment 71396

I very much appreciate your direction and the DIAGRAM! I have printed out your reply.

Hubby

Joe Marshall
Reaction score
I get water from a stream. I know this wasn’t part of your question but instead of pumping into an above ground tank, I buried a new septic tank and I divert water into it via underground pvc pipes. Then I pump out if that tank to irrigate.

That is another way to use the stream water. Unfortunately with this option we are up in the mountains of eastern TN and have a layer of stone about 3 feet below ground level.

Hubby

Joe Marshall
Reaction score
What are you irrigating? What type of drip are you using and what is the gph flow rate of the drip? How long are your rows?

What are you irrigating?

Two greenhouses (year around use)
Blackberries
Blueberries
Muscadines
Concords
Strawberries
Red Raspberries
Outside Spring vegetables
Outside Summer vegetables
Outside Fall vegetables

What type of drip are you using and what is the gph flow rate of the drip? ?

Emitter tubing 1 gal/hr.
Flat drip 4,0 1/hr (1 gal/gph)

How long are your rows?

50'

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks