Need help with removing a Pfister shower handle that has no set screw

Users who are viewing this thread

evanrw

Reaction score
Hi

I am trying to figure out how to remove a pfister shower handle that does not have any screws on it. I thought maybe the cap could be removed by rotating but i tried twisting and it wouldn’t budge. Not sure if I need to use some other tools to loosen? Please help. Any assistance or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks

4565F9B0-5D34-42BD-91CE-52818710572A.jpeg

evanrw

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I did see that pfister video but mine doesn’t turn or twist off like that. I’ll have to wd40 it and see if I can pry off the cap.

jordanr

Reaction score
Did you get the end off this pfister? I have same one and same question.

jordanr

Reaction score
Ok. So I got the diagram of this one from Pfister now. The cap unscrews.

Tried wrapping in vinegar soaked rag overnight and using strap wrench. No luck. Any advise?

Screenshot from 2020-05-05 13-20-41.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Those ridges in the diagram may not be threads, they could be just ridges that bend and help hold it in place. I'd try using a sharp knife to get between the cap and the handle body and pry. WHat may be less likely to scratch or dent things could be a car body trim removal tool. It's also possible that there's a locking tab that prevents the cap from turning. IF you try prying from the bottom, if you do scratch or dent anything, it may be less visible.

Kevin Shelton

Reaction score
Ok. So I got the diagram of this one from Pfister now. The cap unscrews.

Tried wrapping in vinegar soaked rag overnight and using strap wrench. No luck. Any advise?
Did you happen to get the cap off? Looking down the barrel of the same problem right now - can't figure out if it unscrews or pops off, but either way - it ain't moving... Also - were you able to get the model name, when you went to Pfister?

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Looks like instruction 3E clearly indicates the Knob threads on and off. Could easily be corroded or gummed up.
Pfister Shower Handle.png

Fixit

Reaction score
Ok for all those who are having the same issue with the same style Pfister faucet - I just replaced my cartridge and disassembly is actually very easy. The end cap DOES screw off counter clockwise. It simply wouldn't move due to years of hard water exposure. I put channel locks (very large pliers) on and turned it easily. The cap is plastic and at first I was afraid of marking it up, put there is very little scuffing on the edge. You would have to look for it to find it. I tried covering it with a cloth and then using the channel locks but it just kept slipping off.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks