Method to raise shut off valve

Users who are viewing this thread

Gagecalman

Reaction score
I am helping a friend replace the two bad main valves in his house. The pipe is 3/4" and we will use a threaded ball valve. He wants to raise the valve up higher.
What's the best way to do this? Can we use a long nipple? If so is galvanized a bad idea?
From phone 013.jpg

Thanks.

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
A nipple is no longer called a nipple when it becomes longer than 12", after 12" it is considered a pipe. Use a brass nipple and 2 pipe wrenches.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Gagecalman since you want it higher I guess your looking at a 12incher or 18 inch piece . If the 90 at bottom is galvinized might just leave that short brass nipple there and couple on to it. looks like pvc in basement or cpvc above if pvc might want to take a look into where its going generaly dosent belong in house

Gagecalman

Reaction score
Gagecalman since you want it higher I guess your looking at a 12incher or 18 inch piece . If the 90 at bottom is galvinized might just leave that short brass nipple there and couple on to it. looks like pvc in basement or cpvc above if pvc might want to take a look into where its going generaly dosent belong in house
He was trying for 18" higher. That's not a brass nipple. Just rusted.
I was hoping to come off of the 90 with an 18" pipe and then the valve. Can't find brass that long.
Is galvanized a bad idea or against code? The service will probably fail before the new 18" pipe does.
That is CPVC but there is also some PVC. I'm replacing that as well. Thanks!
From phone 149.jpg

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
"Is galvanized a bad idea or against code? "

Actually galvanized is NOT against code BUT I once had to testify against a plumbing company and found that ferrous and nonferrous piping shall not be connected on water lines without protection

After finding this little note I was able to prove the plumbing was contrary to code

In actuality, all galvanized supply piping has a brass valve for isolation but the fine print says dissimilar metals must be protected from galvanic action (corrosion) by use of a dielectric fitting or nipple

On steam work, you will see a black pipe with brass valves and same with gas piping it is only galvanized and nonferrous metal that this is more pronounced

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
your right gagecalman, I might not waste brass on that old stuff. whats a new piece of gal going to mater on 60 year old . its accesable as well. but generaly I dont use gal but this is an example of where I would very much concider it.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would't install galvanized anywhere for anything. The new galvanized nipples that I've seen used in tub spouts have huge rust in them really quick.

Easy to make up any length of pipe too in copper. As long as you provide the proper separation between disimilar metals as Sylvan pointed out.. We use a minimum of 6" of brass nipple to transition between steel and copper.

I purchased a 10ft section of 1/2 brass pipe for a project and just used a hand threader to make my own pipe sections. Its really soft material, so its really easy to work with.

Tub fitting.jpg

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't know why but earlier I couldn't see the second picture . after seeing more of the work ... I'd still run the galvanized or rip out a bunch of plastic , Galvanized is very strong can take a beating , temporary work exposed is perfect till the job gets done right (re pipe)
BTW Very nice work Tuttles!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks