Toilet Hissing Even Though Water Turned Off

Users who are viewing this thread

Dmwesq

Reaction score
My mother in law had a plumber over today to work on her American Standard toilet. He replaced the fill valve, and then tested the water pressure and said it was reading over 100 psi when it should be about 60 psi. He then replaced the pressure valve on the main water line.

I got a late night call because the water sounded like it was running in the tank and I went over but they had shut off the valve to the tank, and the toilet had been flushed and was empty except for some residual water in the tank. You can hear water still sounds like it is going into the tank even though the valve is turned off, and you can see some water moving which to me looked like it was from the brand new fill valve.

The only original part left in the toilet is the flush valve. Looking for any solutions. The plumber is not available tomorrow so if there is something I can do to help her out I would love to but I'm stumped.

Here's a link to a small video -

Skoronesa

Reaction score
Seems like the stop(valve/shut off) under the toilet isn't holding. If the toilet got fixed why is the water shut off to it? If they shut the water off to it because it was still running than you need a new seal on the flush valve.

be careful when changing that flush valve seal, those mechanisms get brittle. You can remove the black plastic portion by tilting it to the side to get its hinge pegs out of the holes in the piece that remains stationary through the tank. I find this less risky than working down in the tank if the seal is difficult to get off. I suggest you email Am. Std. first and tell them your mechanism is broken, they will probably send you a replacement for free. Those flush valves come in several different styles so you'll need the model number that is stamped into the tank/lid.

I generally don't bother fixing those mechanisms anymore, I just take the tank off and replace the whole flush mechanism with a 2" flapper flush valve like the pro57 or the WB equivalent.

Attachments

• Screenshot at 2021-02-12 06:52:52.png
    Screenshot at 2021-02-12 06:52:52.png
    120.8 KB · Views: 247

Reach4

Reaction score
Multi-family building and hearing water in a different unit?
Hearing water flowing elsewhere in the same house?
Try turning off the water where it comes into the unit/house. If any doubt that valve works, open a top floor faucet to make sure flow stopped. If the sound stops, look elsewhere in the house. If the sound does not stop, assume outside of the house.

If in the house, check to see if the water softener is draining.

Digitaldave11

Reaction score
I'd still have the plumber come out when he is available. Not enough water flowing to warrant an emergency or whole house shut off.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks