In the Trades
Reaction score
New build residential house
New York State
Small two bedroom house
Single story
Less 1k sqft
Vaulted ceiling’s in family and kitchen
I have smoke alarms in each bedroom and a combo alarm outside the bedrooms in hallway. ( bedrooms located across from one another)
All hard wired together and on it’s own dedicated arc fault circuit.
Concrete floor no basement
no crawl space
Was told I need a smoke alarm in family room / kitchen. The one in hall is like 3’ From family room and 20’ or less from kitchen stove. Odd that I would need one especially within kitchen.
Does anyone have the specific information on location?

Reach4

Reaction score
Code actually says smokes not to be in kitchen.
I put one near the stove on purpose, to get an early warning. I know it will go off without a fire that way, but it alerts me if I have overcooked something.:oops:

Tughillrzr

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes building codes say passes . House inspector said should be in kitchen/family room. I questioned it since it was one open area with hall alarm right there. I saw nothing pertaining to it. I have added an additional one so no one can say anything now. Isn’t worth it. If it came down to someone’s safety more is better! I made sure it was at least 20’ away from stove.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks