Do drop ear elbows have to be oriented vertically?

Users who are viewing this thread

Sokolq55

Reaction score
6D01953F-F743-4C12-B12B-926C69DD8DB5.jpeg

vs

DC228BDC-100C-41E6-8598-932390C781E9.jpeg

I’m trying to eliminate an extra elbow. Any reason I shouldn’t mount a drop elbow in an orientation that helps me do that. See pics. Thanks

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Horizontal is fine.

Some have 3 ears. That may be more relevant with pex. Solder type seems to only have two. Copper adds some rigidity.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Water doesn't care which direction it flows when its pressurized. Not in any meaningful way when it comes down to a tub spout or shower head. An elbow increases restriction, but not enough to notice one 90.

If its going to be used for a tub spout or shower head, Its more important that the nipple be checked for square and level to the finished wall.

An example of a job where someone didn't bother to check their work.. brand new tile over a sheer wall that had just been repaired.

Tub Spout Fubar.jpg

Last edited:

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
Water doesn't care which direction it flows when its pressurized. Not in any meaningful way when it comes down to a tub spout or shower head. An elbow increases restriction, but not enough to notice one 90.

If its going to be used for a tub spout or shower head, Its more important that the nipple be checked for square and level to the finished wall.

An example of a job where someone didn't bother to check their work.. brand new tile over a sheer wall that had just been repaired.

View attachment 70543

Unless it was a homeowner DIYer, I don't know why the tile guy didn't say something. I mean, that's more than a few degrees off.

John

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Homeowner supposedly was hiring their own plumber to install the valve and my client the general contractor was responsible for installing the trim fixtures. It easily could have been done by the carpenter too after the plumbing if they didn't align their holes properly and or attempted to make the holes too small not allowing for wiggle room. But, I gave the homeowner the pic of the blue stub out that I found and was told to proceed. I did my due diligence.

Hopefully water doesn't follow the tub spout back into the wall.. but.. even not under pressure. Water does what it wants to do.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Tuttles , some poor workmanship there, it happens for numerous reasons.
So it boils down to how much time to try to make that look good. or just install spout , I run into that sometimes I hate leaving something but need to be paid for my work

Reach4

Reaction score
I wonder if there is a way to bend the pipe to work around this. Can you bend regular copper pipe a bit?
Maybe solder some soft copper near the wall, and bend. Depends how big the hollow in the spout is.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks