Removing stub out from sanitary tee

Users who are viewing this thread

Lois Lane

Reaction score
I am a novice at plumbing. I am replacing my pedestal sink, and I would like to minimize this unsightly mess behind the pedestal. I removed the male/male threaded brass trap adaptor. The brass trap adaptor was screwed into a threaded female PVC adaptor that is glued over a piece of PVC pipe that is glued to the sanitary Tee. I think I got the lingo right. Am I best off just removing everything back to the sanitary Tee. I was going to try the heating the PVC pipe from the inside with a hole saw trick. Any chance of damaging the sanitary tee this way?

Attachments

• PXL_20210131_212121430.jpg
    PXL_20210131_212121430.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 166

Lois Lane

Reaction score
Sounds much easier than what I was planning, and I get to buy a new tool! So I would ream it out the length of the adaptor that is over the PVC pipe, and them proceed as usual, to remove and replace the PVC pipe at the sanitary tee. I did see the picture of the giant escutcheon you have. That might work if I could find one! But I hate to reuse all the old stuff. The brass trap adaptor never screwed all the way into the PVC.

PXL_20210201_142822522.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
Often the trap adapter would be a 1-1/2 inch trap adapter, and the adaptation would be with the reducing washer.
green-everbilt-faucet-washers-c7198c-64_145.jpg

Or use a trap adapter with a 1-1/4 input is ok too.

An alternative is to use a 1-1/2 inch slip joint trap, and to have the reducing washer at the tailpiece.

If it fits your needs, you could/should glue a "spigot" trap adapter right into the hub, and not have a piece of pipe between the santee and the trap adapter.
white-nibco-pvc-fittings-c480127hd112114-d4_145.jpg
The words on the drawing are Spigot and Slip-Joint.

Last edited:

Lois Lane

Reaction score
Thanks Reach4! I am a medical doctor, and I tell people all the time that 90% of learning medicine is learning the terminology. It is great to know what the options are. I am sort of bewildered by the choices at our local hardware store.

Lois Lane

Reaction score
Couldn't find a spigot trap adaptor at the local hardware store, which would have worked the best! So I impatiently went ahead with a normal trap adaptor. One day I will find a box escutcheon. The Reed reaming tool was also not available at the local hardware store either and almost $60 online! For a one time use, yikes! I was able to get the old stuff out with inside pipe cutter, and a heat gun. No evidence of purple primer? It was a bear to get off. The heating a hole saw did not work. Once you allow yourself to believe you are going to have to cut a big hole in your wall anyway, everything is much simpler. And I did not have to cut a hole in my wall, yet. However, I did not realize, there is no sanitary tee, only a 90 degree bend. The drain pipe seems to run horizontally through the wall with no vent. Doesn't look like any of the diagrams I have seen, but I hope it is OK. Never had any problems with it.

PXL_20210201_214300215.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
Congratulations.
And I did not have to cut a hole in my wall, yet. However, I did not realize, there is no sanitary tee, only a 90 degree bend. The drain pipe seems to run horizontally through the wall with no vent. Doesn't look like any of the diagrams I have seen, but I hope it is oK.
That is very common. It is often done to let the vent pipe pass to the side of a recessed medicine cabinet, and the santee is under the vent. Also done in kitchens with a window over the sink.

There are lots of pictures of that. https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/need-help-on-single-to-double-vanity-drains.64856/ post #11 has some.

Last edited:

Lois Lane

Reaction score
Congratulations.

That is very common. It is often done to let the vent pipe pass to the side of a recessed medicine cabinet, and the santee is under the vent. Also done in kitchens with a window over the sink.

There are lots of pictures of that. https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/need-help-on-single-to-double-vanity-drains.64856/ post #11 has some.
Thanks again. It is part of major 1980's addition to the house (which is a 1950's quad level), and I know it was inspected at the time, but some things were done a little sloppy. Like the previous pedestal sink bowl was held in by drywall anchors. But maybe that was OK, since it did stay there without a problem for over 30 years. There is no medicine cabinet over the sink, but of course that doesn't mean they did not plan for one. This does set my mind at ease. Thanks again.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks