Quality toilet seat?

Users who are viewing this thread

DX

General Contractor
Reaction score
Who makes a good quality color-match toilet seat?

Back story: a few years ago I bought a toilet seat, color-matched to a 1965 American Standard toilet. Not cheap. Works fine. Fits the shape of the toilet well. Can't remember the brand. A few months ago, the top surface of the plastic (the seat, not the lid) started cracking/crazing. Now you can peel off chunks of what looks like a thin overmold layer. Never seen anything like that. Thankfully it's in my own house, not a client's.

Anybody with a color-match seat that's lasted more than a couple of years without falling apart? Thanks

DX

General Contractor
Reaction score
Thanks for the link. Have you used one of those Bemis seats for an extended period of time?

Peterson

Reaction score
I've not actually bought one (my toilets are white), but I've seen them before and I believe they are solid plastic, so you should be good!

Thanks for the link. Have you used one of those Bemis seats for an extended period of time?

Reach4

Reaction score
I've not actually bought one (my toilets are white), but I've seen them before and I believe they are solid plastic, so you should be good!
Some Bemis toilets are painted wood. Some are plastic. I don't know which those are. The paint can wear off, exposing the wood visually, but no splinters.

That quick-change attachment system is nice for cleaning.

The Bemis seats extend about 3/16 beyond the front of the Toto porcelain.

DX

General Contractor
Reaction score
If I wasn't clear, the failed toilet seat I have IS plastic and the color is molded in. As I said, the top layer appears to be a glossy over-mold and is failing. The plastic under that layer is the same color and very flat (not glossy).
So the fact that they are plastic is hardly reassuring. In fact painted wood could be more durable if the plastic ones only last a couple of years.

Edit: here is a picture of the seat. You can see the original glossy finish at the top left corner and the peeling layer in the middle. Toward the bottom and right you can see where the top layer is gone. Same color but no gloss. And somewhat sticky.

Yes it's hard to believe the catastrophic failure. It's in a guest bath that rarely gets used.

Attachments

• 20210202_094330.jpg
    20210202_094330.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:

Peterson

Reaction score
Ew! I've never seen that before. Maybe the underside of it was cleaned with some caustic material?

I'd get a stained/varnished oak toilet seat and call it a day.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks