Baseboard convert to toe kick

Users who are viewing this thread

Jamesfarrell

Reaction score
I have a 3' or so section of baseboard heat in my kitchen I'd like to convert into an under cabinet toe kick heater. Where my buffet table is, there will be a toekick installed under a base cabinet.

I could do this myself, I would probably use sharkbite/pex

The issue I have is I'm not familiar with how to drain the zone on my boiler and if it needs to be pressurized, etc....

Plumber wants $1500 to do this. I would say this is like 2 hours of work, so where they came up with $1500, I have no idea.
Here's some pics.

141288888_838427120334509_7913765715808015906_n.jpg

141601641_838511770326044_5316604897674594969_n.jpg

142014779_838511796992708_7088428419006557673_n.jpg

Jadziedzic

Reaction score
Do you have a company that services your boiler (i.e., yearly preventive maintenance)? You might try giving them a call. When I needed a hot water heat supply line that was running across the basement ceiling moved I called the "oil company" and they knocked the job out quickly and for what I thought was a very reasonable price.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Taking out that short fin section of fin tube all depends how easy it is to get to the piping underneath and will it take drilling a joist to tie piping together. Toe heater looks like 1/2" piping would want it on a separate thermostat. Probably want the fan and water cycle off at the same time because if just the fan was off coil would heat up the cabinet. Cutting cabinet, drilling holes for piping and and electric fishing lines down an tying everything in. Sorry time frame is of two hours is more that a little off.

Jamesfarrell

Reaction score
Basement ceiling is drywall, finished. So not an option. Yeah I agree about the 2 hours. But I'm handling the electrical. I thought the damn thing could just be installed in place of the existing baseboard. But of course not. Everything has to be as complicated AF.
Can I just have them remove the baseboard and basically tie the 2 ends together with a straight pipe going across = no baseboard heat there?

Fitter30

Reaction score
If tied in just like the baseboard three way valve could be used to put flow through the rest of baseboard or baseboard and the toe heater but the flow would have to be looked at with the 1/2" feeding the 3 /4" baseboard. But part of the basement ceiling would still hae to be open up

Jamesfarrell

Reaction score
So the main issue is that the toe kick pipe is a different size? If so is it possible to get a 3/4" toe kick? See, when I look at the manuals, it looks like the toe kick heater could just go in place of the baseboard, see attached.

Attachments

• pipes.png
    pipes.png
    196.1 KB · Views: 230
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks